Thursday, June 9, 2016

Making the Most of Your Internship

Considering I will graduate at the end of the 2016-2017 academic year, I came to Washington with plans to discover what I wanted to do after graduating and make the most of my time with my internship. I was very excited to begin my internship, even though I knew that I would be doing some financial work, in which I have one high school class of training. It was immediately concerning to me when I started at my internship site that some of the other interns are actually finance majors and I thought "how am I going to prove myself and stand out with work that these people have been studying in classes?" Fortunately, I have been able to pick up the skills necessary for our work very quickly and have asserted myself as an intern that is willing to work hard and will perform a task to the best of my ability. I had learned through my previous work experience of colleagues willingness to help someone new and, while I was definitely hesitant at first, have found that my colleagues in Washington are just as helpful. 
One of the interns' tasks is to format a financial report for out analysts, and they offered us the opportunity to create the actual report if we showed competency with practice versions. I formatted my first practice report and then asked for more data to practice until I was able to create the report with zero errors. Due to my extra practice and positive feedback, I was able to create the actual report for our analysts my first month in the office and have been given more responsibility since. Even if you start out having little to no idea what you are doing, showing enthusiasm and hard-work will make you stand out among your fellow interns, even if they may be entering with more knowledge in the subject than you. 
I am still very unsure of what I want to do after I graduate, but I am learning of many exciting opportunities and skills to advance my career in the future.

-Andrew Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment