Sunday, June 12, 2016

Outdoor Adventure in D.C.

When I decided to spend my summer interning in D.C., I assumed I would be wearing a suit all the time. But this weekend, I found myself in the middle of the Potomac in a kayak, paddling through the water and soaking in the sun. We approached an island in the middle of the river, which was really just a collection of rocks, dead trees, and some vegetation. I pulled my kayak up onto one of the partially submerged rocks and climbed out. As I explored the tiny little island and tried not to twist my ankle, I got the chance to reflect on how much outdoors time I’ve enjoyed during my short time in D.C.

In fact, it has been so much easier to get outside and get fresh air in D.C. than it has ever been to do so in Columbus. Just this weekend, I kayaked on the Potomac, tossed the Frisbee in the park, and took a walk through a garden off of the National Mall. Maybe it’s the weather or maybe it’s my own desire to really explore, but either way, D.C. has surprised me in its ability to supply outdoor adventure – and I haven’t even been to the National Arboretum yet.

So if there are any future WAIP-ers reading this – or even for those current WAIP-ers – make sure you get out and take advantage of all the outdoor activities D.C. has to offer.

-Adam S.

No comments:

Post a Comment