Friday, June 10, 2016

Being aware of your biases can make a world of difference.

It’s been five weeks in this city and life’s great, but I want to go back to something so simple yet so crucial to success not only here in D.C. but in life in general. Something that should've been done a long time ago. Perhaps, a long overdue conversation.

Now, I’m here living in the heart of the nation, and I think I am all that and a bag of chips. I’ve learned so much in the little bit of time I’ve spent here. D.C. is so face-paced and I love it! Every minute, every second… BUT I must admit it is easy to get caught up in things like status and politics here. It’s easy to get swallowed up by your internship, Monday night’s class, policy salons etc., but I challenge my peers to take time to reflect on this past month and how it has changed some of our views and outlook on life. This is a perfect time to really assess the biases we have toward other people whether they are of a different race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, political party or socioeconomic background than you. What better time to do that than in D.C. where there are so many different people coming from different backgrounds and life experiences! Undoubtedly, we are all here for the same reasons --- to hopefully lead a life of selflessness. A life dedicated to public service. In other words, we ALL want to make this world a better place someway somehow, and I believe there are a few critical things to increase self-growth, community awareness and professional development to make us all more consciously aware leaders. I challenge us all to not only reflect but to assess our biases when doing so.

Here are my 6 tips:

Educate yourself.
Contrary to common belief, ignorance isn’t bliss! Bias is a complicated thing to explore because no one wants to admit they have biases let alone learn about it. Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but we all have some type of bias. Therefore, I like to open my list with this first. When you know better, you do better. At least, that’s what my mom always said, and I am a firm believer in that! So I advise us all to do our research on things we really don’t know a lot about. Always recognize that you don’t know everything. Even when you think you know a lot, you most certainly do not! In other words, stay humble!

Ask Questions.
If you don’t know, ask. At least that’s my motto. Honesty is always the best policy, so let’s practice that more often. Initially, it can feel a bit uncomfortable to ask someone a question that you honestly don’t know the answer to. It’s okay, I promise, but before you start asking other people questions, ask yourself some first. For instance, “Is this thought or conception I have fair to the group that I formed my misconceptions against?” Or, “Why do I feel this way about this group or associate my negative thoughts towards them?” Questions are always a good start. The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask and ASSUME the answer to.

Recognize that we all have biases.
(This really should’ve been my first step, but oh well.) Anyway, you know how the first step in the 12 steps to sobriety is admitting you have a problem. Well, it’s sorta kinda the same thing here. Admitting you have a bias is the first step to addressing it. It sounds really simple, but it’s probably one of the hardest things to do. Let’s be real! No one wants to admit when they’re wrong or have judgments about others. Nobody is perfect. I get that, but sometimes it helps to sit down and reflect on your experiences and attitudes towards other people whatever it may be because your generalizations are most likely incorrect and misleading.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Sometimes you need a reality check! Don’t be afraid to confront yourself.
Mistakes are bound to occur whether you say something offensive that you necessarily didn’t mean or make an inappropriate joke. Whatever the case may be it is okay… as long as you correct yourself. Have you ever felt awful after saying something you know offended someone else? Me too. I think we all can relate to that feeling. The question lies, what do you do after? Well, you can start by calling yourself out by simply apologizing if you suspect it hurt someone’s feelings or sensed it was inappropriate. AND THEN YOU NEVER DO IT AGAIN. That last sentence is in all CAPS because it so important to not make the same mistake twice. Like I mentioned before, when you know better you SHOULD do better. “I didn’t know” no longer suffices in the event you make the same mistake twice, so just don’t do it.

Always keep an open mind!
It is so important to actually experience something before you judge it. This is a “DUH! I know that already, Tinae.” tip, but it is probably the most essential one in this entire list. If you go into a situation thinking you won’t like something, you probably won’t. You know how your mom always told you to try something, like a vegetable of some sort, before you say you don’t like it. Same concept! Don’t knock it until you try it.

Take it easy.
Easy like Sunday morning. (Okay! Okay! That was cheesy, but I just couldn’t resist.) My point in this step, and to sum this whole thing up, is to take it one day at a time. After all, we are just human. Therefore, we are prone to making mistakes. It’s in our nature. Don’t be too hard on yourself, though. I just expect us, as human beings, to at least try. That’s all I’m saying. Try to learn something new. Try to connect with a person you share nothing in common with. Try to hear someone out. Try not to judge others by their appearance or treat them like less than a human being. Just try! As long as you’re trying, you’ll get an A for effort in my book!


-- Tinae Bluitt

No comments:

Post a Comment