Friday, June 10, 2016

The summer I learned to use a dishwasher...and other adulting adventures

So, to say I have lucked out in terms of "adulting" is  pretty big understatement. When I transferred to OSU, my immediate family was all within 30 minutes. I could literally live almost like I did in high school, down to the fact that my mother would even pick up my laundry on campus sometimes. And then I moved to D.C...and everything changed. For the first time I had an internship away from my home town, and for the first time I wasn't living at home or in a dorm. With that came all the fun adult things like budgeting and grocery shopping and, yes, having to run a dishwasher for the first time. However, I am a big fan of trial by fire, so if I can adult in D.C. I am pretty sure I can adult anywhere. So, here are the tried and true, Capitol Hill tested and Mary Honaker approved, 18 lessons of adulting:

1. If you're even as half as clumsy as I am you may repeat my fabulous experience of wiping out on Capitol Hill. When this happens, let your roommate help you fix up your wounds and do not just sit there letting them get gross (whoops). And for the love of all things good in this world make sure you always have bandaids on you.
2. You can very easily burn food. Therefore, it is best to watch food while it is cooking lest you make a mess and smell up the entire house. You will also be reminded of any smelly food incidents A LOT by your roommates.
3. Taxis are gross. Even if you are stuck outside Reagan Airport and the Uber is going to be ten minutes and you have to pee, just wait on the dang Uber. Ubers don't usually smell like feet.
4. On the Metro escalators, stand to the right and walk to the left. If you break this sacred rule of D.C. living you very well may get screamed at. Welcome to not being in the Midwest.
5. DO NOT forget that your pocket knife is in your pencil pouch when going to your job in a House Office Building. You will spend an entire day freaking out that Secret Service is coming for you, and your boss will laugh at you.
6. On the subject of the Secret Service, just try to remember that they do not enjoy jokes or sudden movements.
7. Texting and walking is an acquired skill. You very well may trip, and there is a 100% chance your roommates again will laugh at you.
8. Ask your co-workers for food suggestions. They will send you to very awesome, usually very cheap places that you would have never ended up otherwise.
9. Call your mom whenever you get the chance. Just do it, you'll thank me later.
10. Make sure any adult you ever have met has your address and phone number. Work days can suck and the power of a random card or text to cheer you up is unparalleled. They know what it's like to be in your shoes.
11. You must lock the dishwasher to get it to work. No, it isn't broken. You're just a privileged 20 year old which lackluster common sense sometimes. But hey, another time you will provide laughs for your roomies.
12. Wear comfy shoes walking to work. Seriously, do not try to trek up Capital Hill in stilettos. Those people may look good, but I promise you they do not feel good. Clarks high heels will save your life, and you will look just as polished and professional if you only wear them during the work day. You don't need to show off your latest kicks to the random 8th graders and tourists running around. Wait AS LONG AS POSSIBLE to put on the heels.
13. Sunscreen. Especially if you are as pale as me. The only thing worse than wearing sunscreen is getting sunburnt. Peeling skin isn't cute and some people will never tan. I know it sucks, but still just wear the sunscreen.
14. Work out. Eat Healthy. Sleep. Take care of yourself. Just do it.
15. Reference #14 again. And make sure you do laundry.
16. There is going to be a morning where you wake up at 6:30 and have a sobbing mental breakdown in your bed. It's ok, adulting is hard. Make sure you have tissues close and awesome roommates who will catch you crying and send you encouraging texts checking in with you that day.
17. Always get your palm read with your cohort members.  Even if it is low key sketchy.
18. Being young can be so hard, but it is such an amazing time. Today I was reminded that I am still only 20, and that it is okay to be one of the babies of the group. You have years ahead of you to be an adult, and your life will work out. Just try to remember to believe in yourself and learn as much as you can from the crazy, hectic, messy, beautiful world that comes with trying to be an adult.

--Mary Honaker 

No comments:

Post a Comment