Friday, June 10, 2016

The Importance of a Nap

It is a commonly joked about topic amongst my friends and family that I love sleep. And I love sleep. In addition to simply enjoying sleep, I also require a lot of it each night to function through a full day. A friend even sent me a quote yesterday that said, “I am not an early bird or a night owl. I am some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.” While I thought the quote was hysterical (and true- thanks Kinz), it got me thinking about self-care during my time living in Washington, DC.

I have absolutely fallen in love with DC, but it’s so easy to get swept up in the commotion and to forget the importance of a nap. A nap helps me regain energy, clears my mind, and gives me time to be introspective, which is why I try to take them whenever I can. So what does my habitual napping have to do with WAIP?


Well, my napping is an analogy for self-care. My version of a nap could be someone else’s yoga, working out, taking a walk, etc. Whatever you enjoy- make time for it. In a city where people are so mission-driven and busy at work, and where free time is spent exploring and networking, it is crucial to take time for yourself. Reflection is essential to growth, and self-care is just important for your sanity. Whatever form of self-care you most enjoy, make sure to make time for it- just like I make sure to schedule a nap into my weekend plans!

On this summer's incredible journey of personal and professional development, my challenge to myself and my fellow WAIP students is to find your "nap" and take it!

-Samantha Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment