Friday, June 10, 2016

FROM THE KITCHEN TABLE OF DREW C. HATTER: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WORLD

Ask anyone in the WAIP house this year, and they’ll tell you I’ve made a name for myself as the world’s leading fan-boy of our gloriously bearded 16th President. That being said, it should be no surprise that when presented the chance to share my thoughts with the world, I have chosen to write about the man who saved the Union, set our country on a path towards civil rights, and knew how to rock a top hat and trench coat combo. That’s right ladies and gentlemen, we are about to take a wondrous trip back in time and learn 3 life lessons from Abraham Lincoln that I promise are at least 80% accurate (I’m no history major, after all).

You are probably asking yourself, “Drew, you seem like an amazing and handsome guy, I mean I’ve heard such great things from your many friends and loved ones, but what makes you qualified to give me such brilliant, original, and thought-provoking advice?” I first want to thank you for being so kind and unbiased, but I also want you to know that I have seen Daniel Day Lewis’ Lincoln at least twice, taken AP US History well over three years ago, and have had various strangers call me very mature for my age. I think that speaks for itself.

#1--- Don’t hate your “enemies”. Value their experiences.

It is well documented that Abraham Lincoln respected his political rivals, even to such a degree as to make them his closest advisers. In my very limited time in DC and on Capitol Hill, I have made an effort to value the thoughts and opinions of not only those on the other side of the aisle but different voices within my own party. I do believe that sticking to your principles is honorable, but there is undeniable value in opening your mind to new ways of thinking that challenge your own. Not only can doing so offer more effective and equitable solutions by expanding your original frame of mind, but it may also at times strengthen your own convictions.

Living in a house with 14 people and participating in a program with 29 in total, I feel that I have truly grown as a person and a decision-maker by opening my mind to the wide range of beliefs held by the Glenn Fellows. Partisanship is a natural by-product of our constitution, but it is disrespectful to the idea of democratic government for any individual or group to assume that they alone know what’s best for our country.

#2--- Have a sense of humor.

President Lincoln is also well known for his humor and is often referred to as a master story-teller, much like myself. Life is already too stressful and complex to forego the occasional chuckle. Humor can brilliantly diffuse a tense situation and allow for people to move past their issues. I constantly find myself relying on humor to navigate through my day and to stay calm and collected in my internship. Humor can also break down barriers and help to establish commonalities among individuals who would otherwise never agree. That’s right, you heard it here first, even Trump and Hillary can be best buds with a well-placed fart joke.

#3--- Grow a beard worthy of a werewolf moonlighting as a lumberjack (pun intended).

Need I say more? Ladies, this still includes you.

#4--- When appropriate, don’t be afraid to push the limits and break a few (minor) rules.

Yes, I know I said 3 life lessons, but see what I did there? I don’t condone breaking any laws, let’s make that clear (I have watched more than enough episodes of Cops to know that the authorities do not take kindly to that sort of behavior). However, trapping yourself in a cubicle and never pushing the limits will most likely doom you to that cubicle for the rest of your life.

Abraham Lincoln made various decisions that were technically outside of his strict constitutional authority, and while some of these remain controversial, the decisions that he made ultimately helped to preserve the Union and end a bloody conflict between friends, neighbors, and brothers.  Know the culture of your office, but making an effort to actively go outside of your comfort zone by asking to be included in meetings that you may feel you don’t belong in or to take on tasks that may be slightly above your pay grade can afford you valuable experience and respect within an office. Just remember, laws are important, I’m really not trying to open myself up to liabilities here. 

---Now it’s time to say goodbye.  

I’ve never been too good at these, so I’ll try to keep it simple. I hope you all learned something from our time here. I hope you laughed, and maybe you even cried, which isn’t what I was going for but I’ll take it.  For those of you who made it to the end of what was originally supposed to be 250 words, I thank you. For those of you who did not, I have no words for you because you’re not reading this anyway.  Goodbye for now, friends…


Written by: Drew C. Hatter <3

No comments:

Post a Comment