Monday, July 11, 2016

An Ode to My Favorite Drug: Caffeine

Life in D.C. is crazy, hectic, and exhausting. In between internships, informational interviews, meetings, classes, study tours, and enjoying the sites that D.C. has to offer, sleep as a priority can fall by the wayside. As part of my research for my policy paper, I came across a graph of the most sleep-deprived areas of the country. Which, no shocker, shows that D.C. is one of the most sleep deprived cities in the country.

            As a public health major, I know all the dangers of putting off sleep. Its effects range from more serious health effects like high blood pressure, all the way down to facial wrinkles. But I know that no one ever wishes they slept more in college, especially during a semester in D.C. So naturally, the college student inside of me wins out and I feed my formidable addiction to coffee. It turns out, that D.C. is a coffee drinker’s paradise. So, I will share with you some of my favorite spots that I’ve found so far in my time in D.C. With all these local gems, there truly is no reason to ever enter a Starbucks.

Bakers and Baristas
  


Bakers and Baristas is a charming coffee shop located in the heart of Chinatown, right off of the Chinatown/Gallery Place metro stop. It is replete with delicious, oversized pastries to serve as a companion your latte. In addition to the food, they often also have live music playing in the nook near the entrance. The shop is also connected to a tiny frozen yogurt stand and cupcake shop if you prefer that to the typical coffee shop fair of croissants and scones!


Compass Coffee



Another one of my favorite coffee shops in D.C. is Compass Coffee. Compass Coffee has two locations, the original in the historic Shaw neighborhood and the other located in Chinatown, a bit closer to Capitol Hill. It was founded by two ex-marines who first depended on coffee to get through training, and then upon their return began to turn their addiction into a career, experimenting with different beans to find the ideal blends. Quality coffee is clearly the aim of this duo, and it shows.  In the brand new (one month old) location in Chinatown, there are plenty of tables, plugs, and bright lighting, making it the ideal place to camp out and get some work done!

Kramerbooks and Afterwords





I will admit, my love for this café has more to do with the books than the actual coffee. Kramerbooks and Afterwords is a café and bookstore located near DuPont circle. The bookstore is a gem filled with knowledgeable staff with plenty of recommendations. Unfortunately, there is not much room to sit and read, but browsing is half the fun in this café. An absolute must-see for anyone visiting the city, Kramerbooks and Afterwords cannot be missed.

By Hallie Nudelman

No comments:

Post a Comment