Monday, July 25, 2016

My DC Journey


My DC Journey 

When I arrived in Washington, DC I had certain expectations about the benefits of living and interning in the city the summer before my senior year. I knew that it would add to my resume, that I would make professional contacts, and that if I was really lucky I might network my way into a job come graduation. What I did not expect was the personal growth I experienced through this program.

Sure I had interned previously, even staying in Columbus last summer to intern forgoing a breezy summer at home. But that was different because Columbus was another home for me. I had made a network there and had roomies who were also my best friends. Even with all of that I still went home a lot of weekends to see my family, lay by the pool and escape to a safe world when the reality of growing up was too stressful to want to handle.

Washington, DC held none of these things. DC was not another home to me. I did not have a previously established network or friends in the area. I had 13 new roommates many of whom I had never met before. My family was a flight away instead of an afternoon drive. I had a boat load of dreams and goals on my shoulders all which I stated would be completed by the time I returned home.

For many seniors this is something many of us know we will face in one short year. Only I had decided to give myself a sneak preview. I was worried in the beginning. I mean Washington, DC is New York City for public affairs students. This city and the people in it held the key to my hopes and dreams or at least I thought it did.

Through my time in DC and in my internship I learned that no one has that type of power except oneself, unless you let it. I learned that you can always change your mind about what you want to do with your life, and then change in again, and again, because it’s your life.  I learned that the most successful people in life are the ones who do what they love most. I learned that you are always able to create a new network. I learned that you can make any city a home. I learned that Buckeyes are everywhere. Most importantly I learned to choose the path that makes you the happiest and success will follow.

I now know that you learn the most when you go outside of your comfort zone. WAIP has helped to calm the anxiety I faced as a senior realizing that graduation was closing in. After doing this program I now feel confident that I can go out into the workforce, or go to grad school, or move to a totally new city, or all three. It has made me truly excited for that next step after college and for that I am thankful. 


Sincerely,
Maggie Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment