Thursday, July 28, 2016

Checklist



“When in doubt, don’t.”
- Ben Franklin, inventor of the bifocal and 6th President of Pennsylvania

Somewhere during my experience in WAIP, I sized up what my experience in DC had been like in comparison to what I had anticipated coming into the program. My trip to Washington was a lot longer than an 8 hour car ride from Ohio to Capitol Hill, and was filled with some risks and hard decisions along the way. In those times when tough choices presented themselves, when the future wasn’t so clear and the next steps I took would affect my life’s direction, I had doubts. Reflecting on those moments of hesitation, I made up a checklist of the reservations I had had about my preparedness and ability to transition into the next chapter of my life.

Some items were checked off the list right away. Am I pursuing what I want to do with my life? Just being in the capital and applying what 3 years of study had convinced me I wanted to pursue as a living meant so much as a student and aspiring public servant in affirming that a career working for the benefit of my fellow Americans was right for me. Check. Am I cut out for government work? My placement at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission put me in the company of people who had come from all walks of life to work in the federal sector. Every project, every meeting, every day spent working for them was constructive and reassuring my talents and skills honed at the Glenn College ready for the working world. Check.

Other worries were more deep-seated. What if I’m behind the people I’m working with? What if I picked the wrong placement? What can I bring to the table when I’m going into this program with way less experience than some of my peers? Some of these concerns came from the simple fact of becoming a part of the WAIP cohort with Glenn Fellows that are similarly driven and focused like me, but with diverse backgrounds. It took a good amount of time living with these people, spending night after night talking about our hopes, goals, and the day-to-day grind of interning in DC, and sharing in the jammed-packed WAIP experience that, if you’re reading this, is either triggering some serious PTSD or giving you some anxiety about what you signed up for. Any of you in the latter, don’t worry. It’s worth all it’s cracked up to be. Check.

It’s not in my nature to be the glowing optimist, and I know that tough times ahead in my final year at Ohio State are going to give me doubts about what’s in my future again. But, every doubt checked off my list of worries for having participated in the Washington Academic Internship Program represents a new sense of confidence I have in whatever steps come next towards my career in public service. I could have been anywhere in the world this summer, but I made my way to Washington with WAIP, and that made all the difference in how I see myself as a student of Public Affairs and young professional.

For now, I'm ready to be back home in Ohio. If the opportunity comes around again, I know a door is open to come back and work in Washington.

- Dan Pozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment