Friday, July 29, 2016

Final Thoughts

Final Thoughts

With slightly more than a week left in the summer, I can’t help but reflect on my experience living and working in Washington, DC. Let me say, it’s difficult finding a place to begin. In my first blog post I wrote about how participating in the WAIP was, honestly, something I never expected that I would do while in college. However, now that I am a week away from being a WAIP-alumni, I could not be more satisfied with my experience and proud of what I have accomplished this summer.

Before leaving for DC, I was curious what I would think about living in the city. Now that I have lived on Capitol Hill for three months, I can honestly say that I love everything this city has to offer. DC has a vast spectrum of activities to be taken advantage of from the museums (International Spy Museum is my favorite) to the great bar scene (Hamilton’s $1 PBR Fridays is a deal that can’t be beat). I have found that DC is somewhere that fits my idea of a balanced lifestyle – on any given Saturday you can find yourself kayaking on the Potomac in the morning, perusing a museum in the afternoon, and demolishing some pulled pork at Hill Country Barbecue in the evening. Lastly, there is something to be said about the experience of walking past the Capitol Building every day. Spending my summer in a city featuring monuments and other grand statues dedicated to the many figures who have made our country great. Living in Washing has truly given me more pride and made me more determined to serve the United States before coming to the city this summer.




JRH

No comments:

Post a Comment