Friday, July 29, 2016

Love in the Nations Capital

My parents met on a young professional’s intramural flag football team in Washington, DC in the 80s.  Why am I writing about this?  Because growing up, as I obsessed over their fairytale romance, the scene was always set with our nations capital as the backdrop.  I have always seen DC as a symbol of endless opportunities.  Sure, this personal anecdote is a bit cheesy, but I have come to learn that it is absolutely true.

Living in DC this summer has helped me gain an incredible sense of independence, opened the door to innumerable personal and professional opportunities and overall been an eye-opening summer.  One of the biggest reasons I grew so much this summer is because I continuously put myself out of my comfort zone.  Whether it was reaching out to people I didn’t know very well to ask for Informational Interviews, exploring the city completely alone, or being adventurous and kayaking (3 times!!!!!), I tried to push myself outside of my comfort zone and came away with incredible stories to tell and lessons learned.

WAIP has provided me with the most wonderful opportunity to live, work, and play in one of the most amazing cities I’ve ever experienced.  Just like my parents did in the 80s, I found love in the nations capital- only it wasn’t with another person, it’s with Washington, DC.  Thank you WAIP, Katy, my internship site, and this city for helping have the most fulfilling summer I ever could have asked for.

-Samantha Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment