Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Leaving DC – but hopefully not for long

            As I leave DC after an incredible summer, I have come to an unsettling realization. Part of me expected this, but another part of me is in denial – I am leaving DC more confused about my future than when I arrived.

            Graduate school, fellowships, legislative jobs, TFA, Peace Corps or even continuing in the field of direct service with Refugees: which option do I choose? At the beginning of this summer, my plan after graduation was to go to graduate school, preferably at Ohio State. I could continue my education in my comfort zone, close to home and close to my loved ones. However, a conversation I had with my supervisor last week struck me and has left me with some important decisions.

            Last week, the Vice President of the National Partnership looked me in the eye and told me that knowing what I wanted to do in life – I should absolutely NOT stay in academia. She went on to explain that taking a gap year (or four) and starting a career is more beneficial from the employer perspective for a multitude of reasons including compensation, attractiveness to employers, and the general ability to absorb information in master level classes and relate it to work experience.

            This put a dent in my “master plan”.

            Luckily for me – I love DC and can see myself living here, especially as a young female graduate. I want a fast paced and challenging environment which is exactly what DC offers.

            More surprising than the idea that I may be willing to delay graduate school is the realization that I want to be a Hill Staffer ASAP. Through my internship, I have been able to advocate on the Hill for bills that directly impact women’s equality in the workplace. We met with staffers and I had the opportunity to discuss legislation and ask for their members support, as well answer their questions. Having conversations with advocates and staff on the hill gave me first hand insight; I know that I would love being a staffer and truly thrive in that environment.  

            Writing all of this down, it seems like I have my post-undergrad life figured out, but that is far from the truth. I have more ideas than ever, and all of these ideas stray far outside of my comfort zone. Thankfully, I now have a network of people who encourage me, support me, and offer constant advice – so I know I will get through it.

            The two most meaningful pieces of advice I received this summer are below, and I will keep them in mind as I continue to follow my passions and pursue my career.  

1.     Just start writing because it is the best way to focus the mind – Dr. Fergus
2.     Pick a path and if you don’t like it change it – every experience will teach you something that you can use later on – Sarah F.F. (NPWF)

These are simple yet solid reminders to not get caught up in perfection or overthinking and to just keep powering through. I am so thankful for the Washington Academic Internship Program and the network and community that is Ohio State as they continue to invest aspiring public servants.  

Leah 

No comments:

Post a Comment