Friday, July 29, 2016

thank you

In late July 2011, I was headed into my senior year of high school. Just around the corner were college applications, football season, and “the last first day of school” in my hometown, around the people with whom I grew up. I knew I was applying to Ohio State but I wasn’t sure that I could get in – let alone what I would do if I did. I gave myself the best chance I could, motivated by the encouragement from my family, and especially from my grandma. The goal for the year was to get my best grades of high school. That semester, I enrolled in AP US Government, taught by one of the best high school teachers anywhere, Mr. Michael Gordon at Munster High School. It was in this class that I first immersed myself fully in the world of American government and politics. I got the grade I needed and the encouragement that would drive me for my entire college career. I could do it – whatever it was that I wanted.

Let me fast forward a few years. I made it to Ohio State. It just so happens that that fire ignited in me still burns, and brighter every day. I’ve spent this summer learning everything I can. With one year left in school, I am in a better place to start my post-graduation life than I ever could have been without this program. Still, there is uncertainty as there always is in life. What is certain, however, is that I’ve taken full advantage of the life I’ve been given. The people that raised me and taught me deserve all the thanks I can give them. I hope to do them proud and inspire others.

Today I found myself touring the Smithsonian American History Museum on my own. I focused on the transportation section of the building for the sake of time. In it, they have an old train car from the Chicago Transit Authority Metra line. For a few minutes, I sat there and thought about the city I knew and often visited from my suburb of Munster, IN, where I was fortunate to have been raised with dreams and family, teachers, and a community that could help me achieve them. I pictured my grandparents riding the Red Line across Chicago on a second or third date. I imagined an adventure that their sisters – my two favorite aunts – planned together after becoming friends and family by marriage. Then I pictured my commute to work at the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America where I have just one more week to learn and grow. I couldn’t be happier to work with great people, and I know I will finish off strong.


I intended to make the most of the opportunities that I’ve been afforded this summer, and throughout my life. I think I’ve done just that.

Thank you to all of my cheerleaders and supporters, my family and friends in this crazy exciting life you've helped me build. I can't do any of this without you.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment