Thursday, July 27, 2017

A Different Take on a Friday Night

For some reason, I have begun to be coincidentally surrounded by people in the military. I, myself, never considered a career in the military - I wasn’t cut out for the tough, physical nature of flying jets or manning guns inside of a humvee. Yes, I know this is all very surface level, but stay with me here. My perspective of the military was pretty narrow, but not in the sense that I didn’t appreciate the sacrifice or the hardship, but instead I never fully grasped what those sacrifices are and how that can impact each of their lives.

In summary, I had full respect for the military, but had little to no understanding of what the military does in our present day.

This has changed a lot this summer, and I think it can be best described in the Friday Evening Marine’s Parade. DISCLAIMER: If you’ve ever talked to me about my time in DC, this event will probably be one of the first three things I say, so this is something that has really epitomized my experience this summer.

Every Friday, we end our study tours in the late afternoon, meander our way back to our townhouse and get ready to seize the seemingly infinite free time of the weekends - there is normally a nap involved somewhere, and the weekend is never actually as long as you want it to be.

One thing that never seems to be on the top of this list for Friday night activities is something touristy or “very D.C of you.” There is a lot in the city and I know I will end this summer with still having some things on my bucket list left to complete, so I get the mindset of prioritizing fun and adventurous outings, but to me, I would say this Friday night event is one of the best.



So what is a Friday Evening Marine’s Parade? It’s a patriotic ceremony filled with performances, formality, music, and remembrance. Held at the oldest Marine’s Barrack at 8th and I St. in the SE quadrant of the district, the parade is an attempt to show the prestige of the military, while reflecting the incredible duties that each soldier holds. The performing green space is surrounded by the barracks themselves, Officers’ houses, and the home of the Commandant of the Marines. The audience gets to sit on bleachers and watch the soldiers do incredible skills of handling rifles, or the audience gets to listen to three very impressive military bands, all of which provide amazing performances. To a young adult, this type of experience would be a combination of Cadet Kelly, Drumline, and any patriotic movie that has been produced.

To me, it's about more than the formalities, showmanship, or performances, but instead what these things stand for. I’m lucky enough to have a friend from home perform in these parades, and I’ve gotten to know this one little facet of what it means to be a Marine. Because there is no dire war on the brink of our society, these men and women have to prepare themselves for the event of having to protect this nation. These marines are the first ones to welcome fallen soldiers off the military planes in Dover, Delaware, where they take them to their final resting place. These marines are the ones who train day in and day out to show the precision and class of our one-of-a-kind military. These are the marines that carry a Senator from Ohio, who fought for the people of his nation in more ways than one, to Arlington Cemetery, where he lies with the men and women who sacrificed just like he did.



I still may not know or fully understand the responsibilities and sacrifices that our military makes, but I hope things like this and hearing the stories of those that have joined our armed forces will allow me to get one step closer.

This is what I see from a Friday Evening Parade, and what I hope everyone does, too.

By: Teresa Cardenas

WAIPer of Summer ‘17

No comments:

Post a Comment