Sunday, July 23, 2017

Mom, Dad, I’m Fine, and Please Send More Money

My parents and brother with me on 4th of July
The WAIP experience is more than I ever could imagine. The excitement, opportunities, and once in a life time moments are a plenty here in D.C. Katy works to prepare every student as much as she can, but I believe that you have to sort through the experience on your own and cannot truly be completely prepared.

When I came here, I thought I had the time management thing figured out. I am very involved in student organizations and leadership back on campus and normally work an internship while being a full time student. WAIP did not seem like a change of pace. I was wrong. This experience is unlike anything else and I love it. Now I do admit there are times when I am tired and just want to sleep in but end up staying up late to follow a breaking political story or work on my paper or even just talk with my roommates.

WAIP is about balancing everything you do but realizing you cannot do it all and you cannot do it alone. Pick up the Phone, go down the hall, go on a walk, whatever makes you feel better and relaxed. For me I know I am overloaded and stressed when I have not communicated with my mom or dad either on the phone or through text. I immediately shoot them a text and let them know I am doing fine.

For a study tour, we went to the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument, right down the street from our house, and learned about Alice Paul’s Journey. Now in no way am I comparing my journey through WAIP with hers as a women’s suffragist but a phrase stuck with me. The Park Ranger who showed us around said when Alice was abroad she was reported in newspapers and her parents must have been going crazy. She told us that Alice probably wrote to her parents, Mom, Dad, I’m Fine, and Please Send More Money. This phrase is something I see myself telling my parents quickly when I don’t have time to talk and the added please send more money is a must because well DC is expensive.

As you are enjoying your WAIP experience know that asking for help when you are down is okay. Taking time to yourself is okay. All these things are normal.
A ways that I emotionally unwind in DC is taking a walk down the National Mall with my headphones and bobbing my head and occasionally dancing. I love listening to music while driving in Columbus and this is the way I can fulfill that music listening and dancing that helps me unwind. Be sure to find that thing you can do to unwind. Whether that is hanging with people and being social, or getting some alone time. Make sure that you are taking care of yourself, and don’t think others don’t care about you and wouldn’t love to hear form you. 5 minutes to talk to your bestfriend, mom, dad, sibling, even katy help make the experience that much better. So when you feel down do that thing that works for you.

Peace, Love, WAIP,

Emily Saleme

No comments:

Post a Comment