Saturday, July 29, 2017

WAIP ~updated~ Packing List

As I packed for WAIP, I continually downsized by belongings. At orientation, we were slightly scared into thinking we would have 6 inches of space to our names. Come to find, we actually did have a lot more storage space then we thought we would have. This is not to say you should pack your whole wardrobe and 4 different sweatshirts but it does mean you have a little more room than what you may originally believe. When reading this post, keep in mind I participated in WAIP in the summer which made my wardrobe slightly easier to pack than the other two semesters because I did not have to take into consideration the cooler temperatures.


Here's a look into my packing list and what I wish I would have brought:

Clothes 
  • 1 full suit - This was enough for me because I did not work in a business professional environment but used the suit for meeting the Senators and different study tours 
  • 1 - black blazer - 10/10 would recommend 
  • I brought 4 plain colored t-shirts from H&M and wore them both to work and on Saturday afternoons 
    • Unless your office is business professional, it can be easy to bring items that can be worn causally or in a business setting depending on what you pair the item with and how you accessorize.
  • 2 casual shirts 
  • 3 professional shirts 
  • 3 professional tank tops - Thanks Michelle Obama 
  • 3 casual tank tops - These were great for the summer heat! 
  • 2 cardigans - A MUST - I left one at work all the time because the AC is set to the comfort of men in suits 
  • 4 outfits to work out in 
  • 3 skirts - I brought one professional skirt, one I could wear to work and casually, and one jean skirt for only casual wear. This worked perfectly for me. 
  • 4 dresses - 1 professional and 3 that I could wear to work or the farmers market. I loved having dresses in the summer heat!
  • 1 pair of jeans - bring a pair of jeans you can dress up or wear casually
  • 4 pairs of pants for work - For me this was the perfect amount because I brought neutral colors that could be paired with any shirt. DO - pack one pair of fun patterned pants!
  • 3 pairs of shorts - I did go out and buy 2 more pairs of shorts while here, I wish I had packed more 
  • 2 pj outfits 
  • 1 sweatshirt
  • What I wish I'd brought for clothes
    • 2 or 3 outfits I could wear for dressy up, casual nights out exploring D.C. 
    • American themed colors/clothes for July 4th 
    • 2 or 3 more casual shirts 
    • rain jacket / light jacket 

Shoes 
I was able to wear "professional sandals" for my internship, whatever that means. My understanding of this turned into, I could wear sandals as long as they were not flip flops/slide ons or old/falling apart. I was really happy with my shoe packing and would not have brought anymore. 
  • 1 - black heels 
  • 1 - neutral heels 
  • 1 - brown sandals, I wore to work and casual 
  • 1 - black sandals, I wore to work and casual 
  • 2 - heeled sandal 
  • 1 - running shoes 
  • 1 - casual tennis shoe
  • 1- "mom sandal", "chaco sandal" - Whatever you want to call them, I am so glad I brought a pair of these. I would say about half of us did and wore them all the time. They were great for walking to work in! 
Others 
  • 3 watches - I wore everyday 
  • 2 statement necklaces - Easy way to dress up a plain shirt 
  • 1 baseball hat 
  • 1 tote bag 
  • 1 small cross body bag 
  • 2 reusable grocery bags 
  • Umbrella - DON'T FORGET THIS 
  • School supplies - remember you are in class here, I bought a folder, notebook, laptop, and pens 
  • Dry stock food 
    • Cheez-its - bought the bulk snack packs for Sam's Club and it was the best thing I ever did
    • Clif Bars - great to through in a bag for a snack 
    • canned food 
    • rice and pasta
    • tea 
    • plastic baggies
  • Lunch box - necessary 
  • My favorite coffee cup 
  • Blender 
  • Ice cream scoop - My roommate brought this and God bless her
  • Can opener - WISH provided one but it was not that great. Again my roommate brought this and so thankful she did. 
  • Fun book to read - Big Little Lies - 10/10 would recommend this read
  • headphones 
  • Journal - bring one of these! Even if you just bullet point your day, you're going to want to remember this experience.
  •  Planner 
  • reusable water bottle - Hi, you need this. 
  • What I wish I'd brought:
    • bowls - not enough provided by WISH 
    • a little wallet - I went out and bought one the first week and it saved my life this summer. 
    • a business card booklet to collect other people's in - This would have just helped me be more organized
    • more pens, I lost all of them everywhere.
    • Key chain, some people had them and others did not

Maggie 

No comments:

Post a Comment