Friday, July 28, 2017

Dumping Out My Purse


They say you can tell a lot about a person by the contents of their purse, so let’s take a look at what I’ve accumulated in mine this summer:
  • My GAO ID. That little card that swipes me in and out of work at the Government Accountability Office each day, taking me up to my desk and bringing me to my job. The best part about my ID is its American flag background reserved specially for their interns (to make us as visible in the office as possible). 
  • Dental floss. I learned quickly that you never, never, ever want to get caught in D.C. with food in your teeth. That whole "you never know who you're going to meet" thing? Not the greatest when you decided to eat a poppyseed bagel sandwich for lunch. Always be prepared!
  • Business cards—from scheduled and impromptu networking events. The most cliche thing about D.C. (that you always have to be prepared to network) came true for me in the best way. I took a weekend trip to New York City to visit some friends, and was seated next to a very chatty woman who struck up a conversation with me. She told me about her job as a law school professor in NYC, and how some of her students were the law students who assisted people at JFK Airport after Trump announced his Muslim travel ban, and I was already fascinated by her. We soon discovered that we had matching rings with the Greek infinity sign on them, and she told me how she was an immigrant from Albania who had come to America seeking a better life--and found it. We talked about our immigrant families and bonded over our love of podcasts. After we'd already hit it off from talking for a few hours, she revealed to me that her son was the little boy who wrote President Obama about the Syrian refugees last year, and I was in awe. If you're not familiar with the story, check it out here. We exchanged business cards at the end of the bus ride, but I felt like I'd gained so much more than a networking exchange. 
  • Ticket to Washington Nationals game from the 4th of July. No better way to spend America's favorite holiday by enjoying America's favorite pastime. It was so much fun to hang out with a couple other WAIPers at the game and to just have some summer fun. 
  • Water bottle. Possibly the most important thing to have in this swamp town during the summer. When I heard D.C. was hot, I had no idea just how hot it really gets. Those crazy humid 98 degree days sap the life out of you if you're not careful. Drinking water kept me from passing out on many occasions. 
  • Program from a Smithsonian Jazz Orchestra performance. As a lifelong jazz fan, for my 21st birthday, I treated myself to a (slightly expensive) ticket to see the Smithsonian Jazz Orchestra perform a concert in the National American History Museum. It was such a lovely evening, only topped by the fact that Ella Fitzgerald's jacket and hat were in a glass case just inches away from the performers. 
  • Map of the National Gallery. After a particularly busy week, I went to the National Gallery by myself, because sometimes you just need to rejuvenate by yourself in the peace and quiet of a beautiful museum! The multitude of Smithsonians within quick walking distance of the WAIP houses was such a wonderful thing. I made it into nearly every single one, and would recommend to any future WAIPers (or D.C. visitors!) that they do the same. 
  • Metro card. Last but not least, my Metro card was what got me everywhere this summer. The public transportation system in the District is AMAZING. While it might have caught on fire a handful of times, it's been invaluable to have a (mostly) reliable and affordable way to get just about anywhere in the city. The NYC Subway has got nothing on the D.C. Metro. 


From the Washington Nationals baseball game on the 4th of July!

Taken by yours truly at the Smithsonian Jazz Orchestra performance, in front of a mural dedicated to American jazz

By: Eleni Packis


No comments:

Post a Comment