Thursday, July 27, 2017

WAIP by the Numbers

These days it seems as if I’m always nervously counting down till something- till my paper is due, till my final class presentation, till my internship ends, till I leave D.C…. The numbers and dates float around in my head and can sometimes be more overwhelming than helpful. With the summer quickly coming to an end, I thought I’d share a few numbers that, instead of making me nervous, make me smile and reflect on the many fond memories I’ve made over the summer.

·7 – The number of times I’ve had ice cream on my Snapchat story. Apologies for being basic.
·41 – The highest number of hours that I worked in one week, which was technically only in 4 days due to WAIP study tours on Friday. I now understand the tired look my dad always had on his face when he came home at 7 pm after a long day at the office. I earned those ice cream cones.
·5.5 – The number of miles that usually constitute my nightly run from our townhouse behind the Supreme Court all the way to the Lincoln Memorial and back. I will always remember these runs as some of the best moments I spent in Washington D.C., especially the runs that took place as the sun was setting over the Mall.
·96 billion – Not an exact number, but a fairly accurate estimate of how many cups of coffee I’ve had this summer. This is what happens when your internship has free coffee… and you have no self-restraint.
·2 -  Parents that I would not be where I am today without, physically and figuratively speaking. I cannot thank my mom and dad enough for giving me the opportunity to chase my dreams so far from home. Thank you for encouraging my tenacious (and sometimes overzealous) drive to succeed, and reminding me of my sentimental call to serve something larger than myself. D.C. has been the best experience that I could have asked for, but I am so excited to be back home!
·64 – The price of a round-trip bus ride to New York City. I spent a weekend visiting friends who were interning in the Big Apple for the summer and had an absolute blast. It is totally worth giving up one of your precious WAIP weekends to travel by train or bus to a nearby city like New York or Baltimore. It’s a cheap and fairly quick option for when you need a little break from the political hubbub and craziness.
·20 – The number of museums I’ve been to this summer (and I’m hoping to squeeze in one or two more!). These museums were something that I would highly recommend to every  incoming WAIP student, whether or not you’re a history nerd like me. You owe it to yourself to check out these incredible institutions of our history.
·4 – The number of times a random stranger has yelled “O-H” at me in public when I was wearing something Ohio State related. These moments are not only comforting when you’re homesick, but serve as a wonderful reminder of Ohio State’s expansive alumni network, national influence and recognition, and the Midwestern joviality that we often take for granted.
·500 – The number of calories in a Ben’s Chili Bowl half-smoke. Commit yourself to working out later and enjoy every chili-oozing bite. I spent a lovely Sunday evening at Ben’s original U-Street location after witnessing the Meridian Hill Drum circle and it was one of my all-time favorite days of summer. I loved all the autographed pictures of famous people who have eaten at Ben’s hung on the wall, a personal favorite being Bono from U2.
·31 – New friends that I have made this summer. The other WAIPers have not just been roommates and fellow students to me. They have become some of my best friends, closest confidants, biggest supporters, and greatest role models. We have complained about schoolwork and the D.C. heat together, laughed over stories at Hamilton’s together, and discussed politics and John Glenn’s legacy together all summer long. I am so grateful to have met every single one of you!
·11,000 – Steps that I walked during a trip to Arlington National Cemetery (this post isn’t sponsored but having a FitBit is an amazing supplement to your WAIP experience, just saying). Every WAIPer should make at least one trip, but hopefully many more, to this hallowed ground. My favorite part of the park has always been the Eternal Flame and final resting place of President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy, but a heartfelt moment at John Glenn’s gravesite just might have taken the lead.
·6 – The number of people in my office, including me. I had a really unique internship experience where I was in a small office and was fortunate enough to be the only intern. This allowed for me to get to know the lobbyists in my office better, as well as approach projects with more authority and flexibility.
·1978 -  The year that Professor Doug Jones began teaching at Ohio State. Dr. Jones and I have very different opinions on almost everything (mostly due to different political stances and the age gap), but I have gotten to know him as a respected academic, remarkable public servant, and wonderful mentor. I look forward to keeping in touch with him when my time in D.C.  this summer ends, and soon congratulating him on his 40th year of teaching at the greatest University on earth.
·3 – The distance, in street blocks, from my office to the White House, Ford’s Theater, the MLK Jr. Memorial Library, and the J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building. Though I was a little far away from Capitol Hill itself, I still felt like I was close to the action because I was surrounded by so many important institutions.
·225 – The address of my (first?) D.C. home. It was cramped and severely lacking in internet capabilities and always smelled faintly of bacon… and I couldn’t have asked for more. Thanks for the memories, 225.

Evelyn Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment