Sunday, July 23, 2017

Surviving Your First Big Girl Job

Here are the lovely people I work with! Shoutout to Sarah, Sophie, Hannah, Lauren, and Alison. And of course, my boss Betty for this great opportunity!

On May 16, 2017, I woke up with butterflies in my stomach. It was my first day of work and I was so nervous that I thought about calling my mom and telling her to come pick me up and take me home. Last summer I was working a mall job; there was no way I was ready to enter the office life. I remember putting on my business professional clothes and it felt so weird. Despite the extreme nerves, I knew that I had so many people supporting me and believing I could do it. So, I went to work.

I walked into the office and I instantly knew that people at the Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage were different. I could not imagine a more inclusive, accepting and friendly office. I had this idea of D.C and the office life as constantly competitive, but I soon learned that our office was more like a family.


Hoping that I can add lassoing to my resume!
A WAIPer from last year (shout out to Tyler) who had the same internship as me, told me how amazing the office was. I did not truly understand how amazing my boss, Betty Belanus, would be until I met her. I was amazed by the kindness and generosity she has shown me and my fellow interns. I thought that because I was an intern that no one would want to hear my ideas or care about me, or that I would have many responsibilities. But Betty welcomed all of us, whether that was for a trip to the Maryland Folklife Festival or a sushi night at her house.

I feel so lucky that I have found such strong female role models at my work like my boss. The other strong women in my life are my coworkers. I feel encouraged every day I show up to work by seeing the intelligence and hard work that my boss and coworkers do. They truly are my role models. The first day I got to work, my other coworkers took me under their wing. I was so nervous that I did not know how to use the phone or send an email, but my coworkers answered all my questions and welcomed me to the office. My coworkers have become a great support for me while I have spent my time here. They were always down to hear me complain about my policy paper or tell me what restaurant to go to. My coworkers have truly become my friends here.
 
I feel like I can do anything now that I drove this golf cart without hitting any visitors! 

Three months later, I cannot believe that I was so worried and that I thought I was not cut out for my first “real” job. I am so glad that I pushed myself out of my comfort zone by coming to D.C. and taking a job that would challenge me. I learned that everyone once was an intern and that people are willing to help if you ask for it. I feel more confident in myself that I do belong in the office world and I can work a “real” job. This experience taught me to never doubt my abilities and that I have the skills to do the job, especially with support along the way. Most importantly, I learned that there are some really great people here in D.C. and I feel so lucky that I got the opportunity to spend my summer with them.

Katie 

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it! if you want a resume 2018 template for your job, just contact our confidential and highly affordable services for help that you can trust. Our service will help you.

    ReplyDelete