Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

Last weekend, I decided to go to Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
(click me!). I’ve been exploring different churches in the Capitol Hill area for the past 7 weeks, but it was fine time that I took advantage of being in Washington DC and go to some truly remarkable places. After a fairly long Metro ride (I hate when they do construction on the Metro on weekends!), I finally got off near the Catholic University of America, which abuts the Basilica.

I’m glad I left with plenty of time to spare, because it left me with a few minutes to explore the largest Catholic church in the United States. It is quite a sight to behold, even on the outside, and I took a few minutes before entering to just admire the façade of the Basilica. I climbed the long staircase up to the main entrance, opened the heavy wooden door, and was absolutely taken away by the beauty of the superstructure. I walked past the rows of pews and colossal Roman columns rising up to the high ceilings and selected a seat close to the altar of the church. I was completely enthralled with the intricate hand-painted mosaics on the walls depicting traditional Catholic images and Latin phrases. Even sitting there, I was filled with wonder, reverence, and respect.

And then the choir began to sing. I honestly cannot describe the feeling that overcame me. Their sound filled the entire upper church, and it was so incredibly beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. In fact, the entire Mass was like that, and I left with a feeling of such peace and purity. The remained of the day, I still felt the effects of the experience, and it was the perfect way to start my week. I highly recommend that everyone visit the Basilica. Even if one isn’t Catholic, he or she can still appreciate the splendor.

If you'd like to see some photographs of various mosaics of the upper church, click here. There are some amazing shots in the collection.


Posted by Evann

1 comment:

  1. I will never forget the time that my wife and I attended evensong at Wells Cathedral in southern England and were seated right alongside the choir. I felt like I should be singing. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete