Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Path Less Traveled

From the beginning of my experience with this internship program in D.C., I’ve known that I’m not out here doing this work just as a resume builder. We are always advised on the benefits of mapping out our futures and putting together a plan for our careers. Many follow the school of thought that by formulating a plan for yourself, it will give you the framework to get to your desired position. From what I’ve experienced though, life is far too messy and unpredictable to ever be expected to follow any road maps you prepare. My time here in D.C. has given me an even greater sense of reassurance that life does not adhere to any rule books.



I’ve started a routine of “taking the scenic route” home from work whenever the weather is inviting and my giant work bag isn’t too jam-packed to do permanent damage to my back. This phrase takes on a whole new meaning when the sights I take in happen to be some of the most historic monuments or places in our nation. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that it was not until I began avoiding the metro ride home that I came to the realization that I was working minutes away from the White House. These walks back to the apartment are starting to build their way up to being one of my favorite memories of my time in D.C. I can’t really pinpoint the exact reason why I love them so much although I’m sure it has something to do with escaping the crammed rush hour traffic of a metro trip home. After spending most of the day pent up in the confines of an office, there is something much more welcoming to these walks than the standard elevator entrance to the metro station.



Before senting out on the trek back to the apartment, I had googled the directions from my office. Instead of printing off the street view with the red line determing the walking path, I merely noted the general direction to take and closed out of the browser. There really is no better way to get to know a place better than simply taking the approach of exploring the city. I’ll freely admit that my sense of direction has resulted in leaving me lost countless times. It may just be an excuse to prove that my inability to follow a map is in fact my adventurous side to explore as opposed to actually being lost.


I’ve never been one to map out a time-framed plan for my day. In the same way that I shy away from laying out a plan for my future as a means of achieving my goals, I refuse to let an itinerary rule my daily schedule. In a way, you are only limiting yourself if you set out a strict plan to follow for your daily routine as well as in life. I have been able to see a whole different side of D.C. through this wandering sessions. Along those same lines, I have been able to take part in so many great experiences that were never a part of a predicted life plan. If there is anything I’ve learned from those walks home, it’s that you can’t technically be considered lost if your path is not set in stone.

-Erin Ryan

1 comment: