Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Rambling Goodbye


As I walked past the Capitol Building for the last time on my way to work this morning I couldn’t help, but remember my first day as an intern on the Hill. It was a sunny day much like this one, but wasn’t nearly as hot and humid as this morning was. As I walked in front of the Capitol that day I must admit that I was nervous and unaware of what this experience had in store for me. Even though I was nervous I was still excited about the opportunity to intern in a Congressional office knowing that it was an experience, good or bad, that would forever stay with me.
Nearly 10 weeks later my walk this morning wasn’t much different than my first walk to work. I took the same route, I was still excited to be going to work to finish this experience, and the Capitol Building was just as impressive as it was the first time I saw it. Even though my walk wasn’t much different this morning I realized that I had changed in many ways. I noticed that as I was walking I was creating a list in my head of the tasks that I didn’t finish the day before; I knew what the House would be voting on today and from that had an idea of what constituent phone calls we would be receiving; and I was confident that today would be just as good of an experience as every day that preceded it. 
I also realized on my walk this morning that I wasn’t just leaving with a great experience on the hill, but also with many friendships. I was lucky enough to have a great group of Glenn Fellows with me this quarter, each of whom I count as a great friend. I have also made a few good friends here on the hill that I can continue to stay in contact with after I make the trip back to Ohio. Finally, I hope I have made two friends in Dr. Kolson and Mike, both of whom this experience would not have been the same without. 
This experience has been all I could have asked for and more. I will never forget the time I had here as part of the WAIP program and the friendships I have made. Thank you to everyone who contributed to my experience, you have no idea how much I appreciated it.    

-Dave C.

No comments:

Post a Comment