Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Presidential Medal of Freedom

Yesterday afternoon, President Obama awarded thirteen individuals with the 2012 Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor one can receive. Thankfully, Dr. Kolson emailed us the link to the live feed of the ceremony just in time so we were able to watch it. I had a few thoughts as I watched that brief but moving segment:

1. What a diverse and accomplished group of individuals. Those being recognized yesterday have done some remarkable things in their lives and continue to serve as inspirations for others.  President Obama only spoke briefly about each recipient, but I'm certain that he could have talked about each person's accomplishments and contributions to society for hours. Hearing their stories made me want to go out and create change. They have the innate calling to serve and to enrich the lives of others while inspiring the public to do the same.

2. While the honorees are some of the most successful people in the world, their humility spoke volumes to me. I remember a few months ago, I attended an event in the Ohio Union celebrating John Glenn, during which John and Annie were interviewed by an Ohio State student. At some point during the interview, I distinctly remember John Glenn saying that he didn't view himself as a hero (which of course he is!). Here is a man who has done so much for our university, our state, our country; who, as the President said, "has given Americans limitless dreams"; who has sparked passion for human exploration; and yet does not see himself as heroic.

3. During the live feed, I thought to myself, "How cool is it that this is taking place literally one block away!" The thought that this is where it all takes place, where laws are passed, leaders are chosen, and the country is run, is thrilling to me. I love living in DC and have had such an incredible experience these past ten weeks. I just know that I will be back here someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment