Tuesday, May 8, 2012

End of an Era


Although it happened a few weeks ago, one of my favorite memories from my time spent here in D.C. will be watching the space shuttle Discovery make one final pass over Washington on its way home.  Its final residence is the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum.

I went into work on Tuesday, April 17 expecting another day of wrestling with the massive Material Safety Data Sheet database operated by the Smithsonian.  As I arrived at work, however, my boss offered me the opportunity to go up on the roof of the Natural History Museum to view the flyover of the Discovery.  Obviously, I could not turn down this opportunity.

Armed with our safety vests and cameras, we made our way up to the roof through the back hallways of the Natural History Museum.  Once on the roof, I had a spectacular view of the National Mall and surrounding museums and government buildings.  We were not the first office with the roof idea as the IRS, Smithsonian Castle, and FAA rooftops were all filled with people.

After a bit of waiting, the Discovery, on board a 747, made several passes over the mall and around Washington.  It was a spectacular sight.  It was also a bittersweet moment as the Discovery was the last shuttle to be used by NASA’s shuttle program.  It was a fitting sendoff for Discovery and it represented the end of an era at NASA.  Being able to witness this farewell tour from such a fine vantage point was incredible.  I was very fortunate to be in Washington for this experience and look forward to being able to witness more history in a city filled with such amazing opportunities. 

- Eric Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment