Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Time Away

Academic advisers at Ohio State always emphasize that internship or study abroad experiences will enhance my learning and collegiate experience, but I didn't buy into that too much.  I didn't think that it would enhance much at all, being at THE greatest college in the country.  Regardless of this thought, I have always wanted to intern in Washington D.C.  I can imagine that all the other Glenn Fellows feel the same as well.  I have always known that I would love my experience living in this city as well.  What I didn't know was that I would make some of my best friends here.  These last 10 weeks have been a whirlwind of papers, readings, study tours, meetings, networking, and hard work.  They have also provided me with some of the most memorable experiences of my life.






As I sit back and reflect on these 10 weeks, some great memories come to mind.  I knew our group would be special when, on the first night here, we all decided to get pizza and walk the long trek of sightseeing from the Capitol to the Lincoln...and back.  We all were so open, friendly, and full of excitement about our opportunity that we were granted.  I can remember the walks to Eastern Market and the always delicious free salsa samples. I can remember our Easter Sunday dinner that we all cooked and ate together, since we were away from our families.  I can remember the Congressional Breakfast and singing Carmen Ohio with Archie Griffin.  I can remember late nights listening to country and eating BBQ.  I can remember our trip to the beach and the 6 hour drive back.  I can and will remember every moment that our group spent together as a unit, having fun and enjoying the city.


Aside from the great work experience on The Hill, I take home with me something more valuable: close friends who have my back in any event.  We have all seen each other's triumphs and failures, our hopes and dreams, and through it all, we have supported one another.  These last few days I will not be cherishing the work that I am doing, but the opportunity to spend time with genuine and real people with the best character I have ever seen.  I have loved every moment of my Washington experience.  I have loved every moment that we have shared as a group.  I will miss my time walking the busy marble corridors on The Hill, but I will miss more the time spent with great people.

-Drew Calabro


 

1 comment: