Thursday, May 31, 2012

Final Days

As my days here in DC are coming to a fast close I am reflecting on what a terrific experience and life changing ten weeks this has been. It has been life changing because I was extremely nervous to come to DC, to live in a new city, and be without my all familiar Columbus and OSU. To be brief, I left for Colorado State University my freshman year of college, thinking that it would be all that I wanted. Come to find out I was anything but satisfied with the experience and home sick beyond belief. DC was a second chance to spread my wings and I have done just that. My time in DC has not only left me ready to experience bigger things than OSU, but in new places as well, and I will welcome these new adventures now with open arms.


I am leaving this city with much more than I assumed I would. First, I have been successful in the work place. I have learned a lot about governmental affairs and different aspects of a petroleum business that unfortunately most do not know about. My knowledge is so much greater and it has left me asking more questions, and wanting to know more about different industries and businesses. I have so much enjoyed my time at work. Second, I am leaving with more knowledge of city life, our country, and history just from living and physically being here in DC. Third, I am leaving with friendships I did not expect. They are friendships that I am sure will go beyond the Congressional and the classroom. Fourth and lastly, my time in DC is allowing me to leave with much more confidence than a short ten weeks ago. I am now not only a confident student, but a more well rounded young adult who is fully ready for her final year as an undergrad at OSU and then shortly after, someone who will take on the working world.

I am truly thankful for my time here and am so glad to have taken the chance and done it. I am sure these ten weeks will be some of my fondest memories of college life. Thank you to all who have taken part in my experience here.

Thanks and of course, O-H!

-Shannon Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment