Monday, July 23, 2012

Can't "Beat It"

When I realized that my participation in the Washington Academic Internship Program was imminent I began seeking out interesting things that I would want to do while in D.C. Obviously, we have the museums and the monuments, and as I have mentioned in previous blogs, those are all great, yet I was looking for something more, something memorable, something amazing. During my search I found the Michael Jackson-Cirque Soliel show at the Verizon Center. Back in April, when I was looking at ticket prices, I pretty much determined that I would not be able to afford the show given its $200+ ticket prices for any seats worth purchasing. As a snob for live shows, I pride myself in having one of the best seats in the house in any show for which I attend.

I continued to monitor the ticket prices on Stub Hub and finally I found an offer and I could not "Beat It"! It was 1 ticket for under $200, on the Club Level of the Verizon Center, and the seat was center stage. Now, every other fellow agreed that the show would be awesome just not "$100+ awesome." I, however, am a complete Michael Jackson fanatic! Prior to his passing, I had always planned to see him perform live. My grandmother even has an unopened copy of his Thriller LP on Vinyl stored for me in a safe place in her home! I have coined my "Moonwalk" and I even own the Moonwalker movie, Oz, and I have a program from one of the 1980s OZ plays in which Michael performed. FAN!


So, I purchased my tickets and I have to say that the show was amazing! All the acrobats and pyrotechnics were awesome. They played all the Michael Jackson songs I have grown to love and some that I had forgotten. It made me sad to know I will never have the chance to experience the King of Pop in a live setting, yet I was humbled by the tribute Cirque Soliel did on behalf of Michael Jackson. If there were to be a show that was as spectacular as any live performance by M.J., I know that the Cirque Soliel show captured the likeness. Donniecia





No comments:

Post a Comment