Sunday, July 8, 2012

Making an Impact


It does not take much time in D.C. to realize that interpersonal connections are valuable. Dr. Kolson, has worked to provide each of the Glenn Fellows with a mentor. I was paired with an Ohio State Alum who is hard at work in Washington D.C. to make an impact on the American education system.

Our first meeting was at an event in D.C. for Running Start. Running Start is a program that helps educate young girls about politics, encourages self-confidence, and teaches them valuable leadership skills. The event was held on the rooftop of a D.C. law firm and served as a networking event for these girls. One of the organization’s board members, Dr. Barbara Palmer, was holding a book signing for her new book Women & Congressional Elections: A Century of Change. Being able to attend the event was inspiring. Looking around the rooftop I saw sixty young girls whose hopes and dreams were similar to my own. They all were lively, ambitious, passionate about politics, and inspired by D.C. life. My mentor and I mingled with the young girls as they each practiced their networking skills and pitched their rehearsed elevator speeches. After the event I realized that my time here in D.C. is extremely important, and as woman I have a chance to be a role model not only for them but many othesr like them.
Ceara Carney 

No comments:

Post a Comment