Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Stories of Myself


My Monday morning was far from average this week. When I came into work that morning at my typical time of 8:45 am (thank you intern networking speaker motivation) my supervisors immediately told me to report to the Speaker’s Lobby. The other interns and I had unknowingly committed to participating in the House's Emergency Preparation training drill. I unluckily was given a guest card and had to sit in the gallery and act like a normal guest caught in some very bad situation. We went over drills for terrorist threats, biological weapons, and a stranger in the capitol. Whenever they ran the drill they set up mock real situation the representative would be in and I was allowed to simulate panicking which was fun. For one of the simulations when we had to stay in the room I acted like I had to pee and was very insubordinate to the security guards which I’m sure they appreciated. It was a really unique way to start my Monday.
Tuesday I got to take a tour of the White House and had to meet a group of people at the ungodly hour of 7:20 am. Needless to say I hadn’t had my usual 4 cups of coffee at this point in the morning but I pretended to be awake by keeping my eyes open as I slept like a wizard. The tour was lackluster. Maybe because I’m spoiled with access at the Capitol I really wasn’t impressed with the White House East Wing and Mansion. It was basically a series of different colored themed rooms where heads of states would be entertained. I have basically 0% interest in portraits of Presidents and furniture, so this really wasn’t for me. The highlight of my tour was Bo the President’s dog nonchalantly running by me all cute like.

        Today I got to take a Dome Tour which was fantastic. I got to go about 10 feet under the Apotheosis of Washington in the Rotunda and traveled to the top of the dome. There was a circular path on top of the building that provided a 360 degree spectacle of Washington, D.C. My favorite part was watching segwayers circle the Capitol's fountain like tiny robots. 




Alexander Hurd

No comments:

Post a Comment