Saturday, July 14, 2012

An Exciting Morning all Before 11


On a drizzly Saturday morning, I made my first metro trek by myself.  Working on the Hill I’ve never needed to take it by myself so I was kind of excited for the solo experience. For being 7:20 on a Saturday morning I was quite surprised how many people I saw waiting for the metro. And besides just being awake and out, they were friendly as well! As I was sitting waiting for the metro this family started a conversation with me about their DC experience and asked if I had any advice on what to see here. I told them about a couple interesting spots I’ve been to so far however I’m still finding it surreal that people think that I’m a native here.

After my metro experience, I made my way to the White House to meet the other 3 interns I work with. Once we had all arrived, we got in the long line and waited to get into the White House. Waiting and going through all of the security was probably the equivalent time of how much we actually spent in the White House. It was a self guided tour that had secret service agents in each room answering questions and telling stories about the House and specific rooms.


Going through the tour, they let us see 8 rooms; the library, the Vermeil Room, the China Room, the East Room, the Green Room, the Blue Room, the Red Room and the State Dining Room. Each tended to have an interesting story with a specific president, if not multiple presidents. But my favorite part of the whole experience was actually at the very end. Leaving the White House tour they had us exit from the front steps where we could see the same view that each president saw before us. It was so neat seeing the street and fellow tourists outside the gate. After we left the White House, we had a nice brunch at Open City in Woodley Park. I would highly recommend going there for breakfast. It was so good! Overall it was definitely a morning to remember!
 Brooke Koester

No comments:

Post a Comment