Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Exciting Two Days

Tuesday and Wednesday offered perhaps my most exhilarating two days in D.C. so far this summer. At 9:20am yesterday morning, my very first policy piece was posted on the ThinkProgress website (the blog of my internship site, Center for American Progress). The post was about what the Federal Reserve can do to further stimulate the economy, and it came out just before the Chairman of the Fed, Ben Bernanke, was scheduled to deliver his semiannual testimony to the Senate.

I am particularly proud of this piece because I came to my supervisor, an economist at CAP, with the idea and he let me do most of the heavy lifting. I researched the policy ideas, we talked about how to frame it, and he molded it into a more salient package for the public. Monetary policy is an area that I care deeply about, and it was fitting that it was the subject of my first published policy piece.

I was in attendance at the Senate Hearing (and the House hearing today), which I can prove by pointing you to the 2.5 hour video on c-span. I can be seen throughout the video just over Chairman Bernanke's left shoulder.

Tuesday just happened to be my birthday too, and I can't think of a better way to spend it than being in D.C., being published, and appearing on national TV in the same frame as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

-Cameron DeHart

No comments:

Post a Comment