Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Best 20 Minute Conversation

Through a very random series of events, I met one of the nation's most experienced and respected congresswomen in the nation. Her name is Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, and she represents our current home away from home, Washington, D.C.

Congresswoman Norton has had many remarkable accomplishments in her lifetime. She is the ranking member of the House Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management, and serves on two committees. She was a full time law professor (and still teaches today!), board member of three Fortune 500 companies and attended Antioch College in Ohio for Undergrad! The list of amazing experiences continues (check out more information on her website Norton Biography).



On Monday, July 23rd I had the honor of speaking one on one with the Congresswoman. Just a block away from the Capitol, I met the Congresswoman in her office for a friendly visit and quick chat. The office was beautiful with walls full of photos from her experiences in the Civil Rights Movement, friendly staff members, luxurious furniture and classical music playing quietly. This was by far one of the nicest offices I have ever seen. We discussed my current studies, experiences in D.C., professional hopes for the future and even talked about the education challenges in D.C. In only a few minutes I was deeply inspired and hopeful that my generation would be able to deal with the economic and social issues that we will soon have to face. The Congresswoman's wisdom was unlimited, and I could quickly tell that she was a down-to-earth and an overall empowering person. The fact that she even took time out of her incredibly busy schedule to meet with me says so much about her genuine character. Again, it was an honor.

The highlight of my day was the Congresswoman telling me that I gave her confidence in the next generation's ability to deal with the difficulties we are bound to face.

One of the best twenty minute conversations... ever.

-Aiesha White


No comments:

Post a Comment