Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Inspired by Women in Politics

This week my mentor invited me to another wonderful event. This time I attended an event for Women in Government Relations at which Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici, Former Congresswoman Nancy Johnson, and Dr. Jennifer Lawless spoke. I was moved while listening to their testimonies, these women were truly inspiring. They have dedicated their lives to careers in public service. Each woman spoke of their different experiences in politics and discussed the problems that women face in holding political office today. I was especially shocked to hear some stories from their time campaigning for office. They spoke about how constituents would write or call to discuss their dissatisfaction with their hair, make-up, or outfits opposed to the issues facing the American people. Although this issue is very slight and rare the simple fact that this occurs proves that there is still much to be done for the equality of women in politics. The time I have spent in D.C. has allowed me to witness female role models that are still paving the way for the future of women equality. I am inspired by them and inspired to help join their cause and make a difference for the future of women. 

Ceara C

No comments:

Post a Comment