Monday, July 2, 2012


My Day Off With Pay
I would first like to state that “My Day Off with Pay” was really not a paid day off of work! I am not a paid intern and the title is intended as a pun. Now that I have added my disclosure, we can move on to my day off of work. Last week my office had a conference in Boston, so I was told to take the day off and explore the city. I was so excited to have the opportunity to explore the sights and sounds of the city without the heavy tourist traffic that the weekend brings. My day started with a hike through the Capitol lawn. I stumbled upon a Pancreatic Cancer Rally on the stairs of the Capitol and was moved by the chants and the passion that the supporters exhibited. Some even invited to join in on the action and chant with the mob. I declined, but took some of their literature for review.
 
After snapping a few pictures of the rally, I continued my journey to the United States National Botanical Garden. That day (like all days this summer in D.C.) was particularly hot and muggy.  The air was heavy and thick.  The moment I walked into the first room of the conservatory, I noticed how refreshing the air became. Immediately, I felt as though the air quality improved.  There was a feeling of crispness that radiated throughout the first room. I then began to notice the beautiful herbage in the conservatory.  There were so many different species of plants from all over the world. It was amazing to see them all housed in one building. The garden outside was just as magnificent. The conservatory housed several rooms which differentiated climates from the desert to the rain forest to the jungle. 

 

Feeling like I was speed dating museums and attractions in the city, I hurried along to my next destination. Although I was heading to the Gallery of National Art, I found myself in front of the Museum of the American Indian. Given my spontaneous mood that day, I decided to enter and explore. I am so happy that I did. First, I watched a 15-minute video introduction about American Indians. Although film was a bit “watered down” given the actual occurrences that led to the annihilation of the Native American race, it was still very interesting to see how their race continues to live as a sovereign nation. All of the artifacts and the exhibits in the museum were amazing as well. The museum displayed a rich history and a spiritual culture that I was not aware still existed to such extents.

 

Moving right along, I found myself at the African Art Museum. The Smithsonian has such a vast variety of awesome exhibits throughout all their facilities. This museum was no exception! I saw a Nokia Cell Phone Coffin made in Kenya, which was life-sized and beautifully colored.  There were several pieces from all over the African continent. Each country exhibited several different tastes and styles; some were dark and mystic, while others were bright and vibrant. There was even an AMAZING exhibit from the New York Museum of Art called Lalla Essaydi Revisions. The exhibition portrayed Essaydi as a Moroccan, African, Arab woman and all of her liberal artistic visions. You must see it in person to fully comprehend its wonder. 
 
I visited three more museums; The Museum of Natural History, The Smithsonian Castle and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden. The whole day was soooo enlightening! I will definitely be visiting each one of these museums a second time to fully absorb the educational resources each one has to offer. Undoubtedly, I intend on visiting the remaining Smithsonian Museums. I would never advise anyone to play “hooky” from work or school however, if there is ever an opportunity for anyone reading this blog to visit all the Smithsonian Museums, I suggest doing so! Donniecia.

3 comments: