Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kayaking Along the Potomac


     I slowly stepped into the kayak wobbling in the water, grabbed a paddle, and pushed off the dock into the Potomac River. I hadn’t been kayaking since I was thirteen, so when Nathan, a friend visiting, suggested kayaking in the Potomac River, I was eager to go. It took a couple minutes to relearn how to paddle, but soon I was smoothly paddling down the river. Well, somewhat smoothly. Because Nathan and I were trying to stay close together, there were a couple of crashes between our kayaks. While I would argue that Nathan cutting me off was the cause of our crash, I’m sure he would state that the cause was the minimal control I had of my kayak. These crashes were never serious and would always lead to a lot of laughter.  
     Regardless of our crashes, the atmosphere on the river was fantastic. Having spent many summers boating with my family, I always love being in a river or lake. The Washington Monument was in the background, a band was playing calypso music on shore, and the company was excellent. Paddling down the river, I was extremely content. The river was not busy which allowed Nathan and me to slowly meander up the river without worrying about passing boats and other kayakers. Due to the heat, Nathan and I only kayaked for about an hour before we docked and tried to find someplace cool to sit. I had a blast kayaking and hope to kayak again sometime in the near future.

~Christy Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment