Friday, June 16, 2017

“D.C. moves fast.”

You’ll hear this phrase a lot. You’ll hear it before you leave for D.C., and you’ll still hear it after you’ve settled in (mostly from Katy). It’s repeated so often because it’s true and important. You’ll discover it the hard way when you’re applying for internships and need to follow up within 24 hours. You’ll witness it when you attempt to get on the Metro during rush hour #yikes. You’ll see it in the ever-changing news cycle in a city that thrives off “what’s next.” You’ll learn it when setting up coffee dates and during the first week of your internship. It’ll sink in when you find out your paper rough draft is due in two days and you’ve managed to type a total of… 5 sentences. And, although I haven’t gotten there yet, I’m sure it will be on my mind throughout my last week in D.C.

“D.C. moves fast.”

So do I. At school, I’m the person that’s always busy. Trying (and sometimes failing) to manage a full class load, part-time job, half a dozen extracurricular organizations, good grades, a social life, and getting enough sleep at night keeps me going on all four wheels. I enjoy being busy and having something to occupy my time, so I knew that D.C. would be no different. I go to my internship, work out, study, go to class, explore the city, volunteer, and attend tours and policy salons. Some days I feel as though there isn’t enough time to do everything that I want to do, and I know that when I leave here in August there will still be things on my bucket list that have yet to be crossed off.

“D.C. moves fast.”

Slow it down. This is the most important lesson that I have learned in my time here so far. It’s probably just as much a process of learning to adapt to the city as it is a good change of pace in my usually overloaded routine. I am learning to appreciate the “now,” soaking up singular moments and standing still while D.C. continues to move around me. I thought that I would give a few pieces of advice for how I do this:

-Take a walk. D.C. has the most beautiful golden hour, so take advantage. Head straight down Constitution Ave. and walk along the mall. I’ll often attempt to go on a run only to find myself walking instead because I get so distracted by all the interesting people and things.
-Go it alone. You are always surrounded by people in D.C. The first few weeks may be focused on getting to know your cohort, but I believe there’s a lot of value in figuring things out by yourself too. Go out to eat, to a concert, or to a museum by yourself and see how your perspective changes.
-Drink your coffee (or tea). Actually drink it- as in wake up a few minutes earlier and breathe in the freshly brewed smell, take care in pouring the exact right amount of creamer, and let it warm your hands for a second before you step out into the humidity.
-Keep your journal. This is another thing that you will undoubtedly hear a lot, but there will be countless things that you will wish you remembered years from now. The only way to actually remember them is to write them down.
-Splurge a little. I’m not one to spend a lot of money, but sometimes the little things make the memory. Buy the book you’ve been eyeing at Capitol Hill Books, buy a popsicle from the food truck on the mall, buy the cliché souvenir from the gift shop. Definitely DO NOT buy the “I <3 D.C.” bucket hats that all the eighth graders are wearing, though. Hard pass.
-Have a meaningful conversation. The people in your cohort are not only fellow Buckeyes and fellow John Glenn students, but they are also going through the same transition of moving to a different city and starting a new job as you are. And because they are Buckeyes and John Glenn students, I can say with absolute confidence that they are intelligent, passionate, and kind. Try to break up the monotony of ordinary conversation by talking to new people about new things every day.


I’ve tried to take advantage of my time here and slow down some of the moments that D.C. rushes through. Slow or fast, I know that I will enjoy all of the moments I have and will spend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment