Friday, June 16, 2017

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Oh, the Places You'll Go!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”  

This quote is the epitome of D.C.. Ever since the beginning of college, I have been certain that I want to go into economic development, city management, or any profession where I get to work with people and make something better. However, in coming to D.C., I decided to branch out and try something slightly different from the smaller scale public service I had envisioned.

I found an internship with the Department of Commerce and have learned about the political realm of regulation, how people can shift rules to move an economy, and how government can help businesses. I learned that there are thousands of ways to interact with communities and make the world a better place; this is great in that I know I can find a job that makes me happy, but has made me much more indecisive about where I want to end up after college.




My Mentor worked with the Office of Management and Budget, and even though she works for the Federal Government, her work still impacts millions of people in a direct way (mainly through budget work). This changed my view that you can only have true impact on the local and smaller level.

My first blog might sound negative in that I have no clue what I truly want to do just yet. But if anything I became more excited about all the options there are in the world. While I might not know "where to go," I know wherever I end up will be good; If I keep doing what I'm doing know I'll end up where I'm supposed to go, which is a happy thought and hopefully will find  others use too!

Also, had to share my roommate and I's awesome OSU pic (I'm on the right):


-Ben Weidner

No comments:

Post a Comment