Friday, June 16, 2017

If you're looking for a sign, this is it

Last February, I followed the rest of my WAIP cohort out of Page Hall after our first orientation session for the program. From the faces of the strangers around me, it was clear that everyone was consumed by fantasies of the dream internships, exciting adventures and the incredible connections they would be making next summer. I, on the other hand, had one thing burned into my mind: the price tag.

In the months leading up to the program, I went back and forth with myself about whether a summer in D.C. was possible. Somehow, reminding myself that it was an incredible opportunity still didn't outweigh the cost of unpaid work, pricey rent and the expense of East Coast city life. Despite almost dialing up Katy and calling it quits, some stern convincing from my mother sent me to Constitution Ave to join the rest of my classmates for a summer in the capitol.

Now a month in, with something new happening every week, I still say the same thing to my mother every time she calls: I can't believe I almost didn't come. From the minute I landed in DC, I understood what an extraordinary experience I was undertaking. The heart of American politics, D.C. has an expansive professional network and proximity to most major organizations that give students countless opportunities to profit from. Not only that, but the WAIP program itself offers unparalleled resources, events and connections for students that add a second dimension to your experience.

For the faint-hearted future WAIPers: if you need some persuading, consider this a sign. This city has taught me that everything in life is an opportunity, but there are few that will satisfy and propel and impassion and better you. Take a chance on yourself and on one of the most transformational, exceptional, gratifying experiences of your life. 

Lauren McDermott

No comments:

Post a Comment