Friday, June 16, 2017

Parallels: Why Katy Loves Her Job



People often ask me how I landed where I am today, managing WAIP. The straight answer is it’s the perfect fusion of my skills, experience and educational background. But there’s something more behind it that explains the passion and drive I have behind the program I oversee on behalf of the John Glenn College.

I grew up in a small Appalachian town in eastern Ohio. When I started at Ohio State, I was eager to experience something new and see other parts of the world. I found myself applying to a quarter-long study abroad at the end of my freshman year to go to Uganda and Tanzania with 15 other Buckeyes and two professors. Flash to January 2009- my family dropping me off at the Columbus airport (mom crying, dad rolling his eyes at her, brother seeming half interested) and flying thousands of miles away for a quarter that changed my life (I wish there was something less cliché to describe it, but it did). During that time away, I learned more about myself, others and the world than I did during any other quarter or even a year in college. Through this experience, I realized the power of experiential learning, putting students out of their comfort zone and leaving campus for a term.

My job is so satisfying because I know how powerful time away from campus on a study abroad or program like WAIP can be. For my blog post, I am choosing to draw a few parallels I see between the summer 2017 WAIPers and my Uganda/Tanzania group from winter quarter 2009. Enjoy-

Parallel #1: New methods of travel
In Uganda, we no longer had the CABS Bus or our own cars. We used Matatus (large vans that rolled around Kampala and crammed people in), boda bodas (motorcycle taxis) or our own two feet. It was scary at first, but by the end, we were hopping around Kampala without issue and with new confidence. Similarly, WAIP students arrive in DC unsure of Metro and buses. Being almost totally reliant on public transportation is a completely new experience for nearly every WAIPer, but like me in Kampala, they quickly adjust and embrace it. Most in this cohort were Metro-riding pros by week 2!

 Parallel #2: The reach of Ohio State
As many of their blogs will tell you, WAIPers catch on very quickly that the Buckeye network is more expansive than they ever imagined, making them feel at home and feel pride for their University, even hundreds of miles away. In Uganda, I once heard an ‘O-H!’ called out across a busy market- a fellow Buckeye spotted my t-shirt. We also visited a school the previous study abroad cohort partnered with to construct a new building on their complex. A shared experience between me and the WAIPers is the experience of Buckeye love and pride, no matter where you are, Uganda to DC, and everywhere in between. 

 Parallel #3: The sacrifice of sleep (and the reward)
I wanted to embrace every moment while in Uganda, often leading me to wake up early and stay up late. I remember the agitation and fatigue I sometimes felt, but what I remember more is the reward. One morning while camping in Tanzania another student, Jamison, woke up before sunrise to hike to the top of a rock to watch the sunrise.  I was so comfortable and warm in my sleeping bag, and I almost said no, but the desire to experience EVERYTHING AT ANY COST SET IN, and I hiked myself up that rock and watched the best sunrise of my life (honesty hour- I sometimes get emotional thinking about that sunrise and hike). Similarly, WAIPers say "no" to a full 8 hours of sleep and "yes" to unique life experiences. Just follow their Instagram or read their blogs- they may be tired, but their lives are so full.This group has packed weekends with fun experiences, and I know they still have many items on their DC bucket lists! 

 Parallel #4: The people that share their time and passion (and change your life in the process)
We visited countless offices to learn from dozens of incredibly accomplished individuals in Uganda. Nearly a decade later, I still vividly remember some of these conversations and continue to be inspired. Headmistress (first photo), to this day, is one of the strongest people I’ve ever met. She was a leader in her community, an elected official, headmistress of the school and opened a maternity clinic in a rural part of the country. My friend Jess and I followed up to meet her (an informational interview, in WAIP terms) and spoke for hours about her leadership and civic engagement. The other (second photo) is with Rosemary, a grad student at the university we studied at, who gave us tours of Kampala, gave us rides and served as a mentor to us. I’ll never forget her kindness and time. She later came to Columbus to get at PhD from Ohio State! Similarly, WAIPers meet dozens of alumni and friends through policy salons, study tours, their internships, the mentor program and through their own adventures. I hope they find their headmistress and Rosemary- they are special people in my life! 
 



 Parallel #5: Being flexible (and pushing yourself to go with the flow)
Spoiler alert- I am a Type A freak that likes to be in control, and Uganda gave me a healthy dose of reality that this is not always 100% possible. Missed matatus, broken-down buses and delayed flights became the norm, and I quickly settled into a ‘go with the flow’ attitude (including sleeping on mats in the Entebbe airport when our plane to Tanzania got delayed nearly 12 hours- photo evidence below). My students face the same obstacles (and I sense many of them, like me, struggle with these as the Type A, organized folks they are). Delayed Metros, changed internship expectations, living with 30+ other students, going on study tours they know nothing about and moving through a city that moves as fast as lightening and as slow as molasses at the same time means flexibility is essential. I know the challenge and appreciate the WAIPers for handling it with grace (and this group certainly has!)

Parallel #6: Experiencing current events in a new setting, gaining new perspective
I was in Uganda in January 2009 when President Obama was inaugurated. By being in Uganda, I realized that this particular election wasn’t only historical back home, but everywhere. We watched the inauguration gathered around our tiny TV in the hostel, but felt the energy of change back home all the way in east Africa. Ugandans were so interested to speak to us, and the newspapers sold out the next day covering this historic event. I had to hang out of a bus window yelling at a man selling them to run to my van window with his last paper; you’ll see I was successful in the photo below. The WAIPers are also experiencing current events in a new setting- being close to Capitol, working for elected officials, better understanding government, visiting mainstream media organizations and interacting with ‘Washington insiders’ provides them with a perspective of the current times that they’d never experience in Ohio. 

 Parallel #7: Meeting people that you wouldn’t otherwise know at Ohio State, some becoming lifelong best friends
The beauty of the study abroad group was that the 16 of us would have never otherwise met at Ohio State, which would have been a real shame, as they are some of the most interesting people to ever come into my life. 16 different majors, backgrounds and reasons for choosing to be in Uganda made for interesting discussions and experiences. Everyone brought unique perspectives, and each one pushed me to think differently. I am still in touch with most of the cohort by social media/texting, and if I find myself in the city where a study abroad friend lives, I always reach out. My very best friend (who is also a WAIP mentor!) I met on the Uganda trip, and she was the maid of honor in my wedding. WAIP also brings people together who wouldn’t otherwise find themselves together in a room at Ohio State, and even better, it forces you to engage in a shared experience with a group of people that think differently than you. Each perspective and life experience is an important contribution to the greater good in WAIP, just as I felt in Uganda. I also know many WAIPers’ friendships extend beyond DC, just as my friendship with Jess has. 

 Parallel #8: Gaining a new level of confidence and a stronger sense of self
The most valuable part of Uganda was the personal growth. I became more of an adult. I became more patient. I became a better person. All of this is because I put myself outside of my comfort zone, had the good fortune of being on a program with caring and organized leaders and let go of some of my fears and hesitations. WAIPers leave DC as new people in some ways (of course, they are still their awesome selves at their core), but what I mean to say is they leave with a stronger sense of self. Better handle on #adulting (trying to be cool, guys). The ability to articulate their professional goals and strengths. Professional maturity. Confidence.


These parallels better explain why I do what I do- I know how much that 2-month study abroad gave me, and I consider it a great privilege to have the opportunity to manage a program that can provide bright students with a similar opportunity. I am proud to work for an institution that prioritizes student experiences, and I get more satisfaction than words will ever describe waking up every day to work with the WAIPers, our future public servants and leaders. 

-Katy, WAIP Program Manager 

No comments:

Post a Comment