Thursday, June 15, 2017

Keeping up with the Lobbyists

When you are in D.C. you meet a ton of smart people.  This summer I work at the Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America, where a whole team of experienced lobbyists work to further the interests of American wholesale companies before the U.S. government.  So when I sit in on meetings discussing strategy, politics, and the daily movements of Congress I am often lost in the shuffle.  This is true of so many different internship sites; whether they are Congressional staffers, political operatives, advocacy workers, or lobbyists, the professionals of this city are totally in tune with what's going on and it sometimes feels like they are operating on an entirely different level.  For example, when I walk into a meeting and the staff starts talking about this week's "FSGG hearing" or how "CMR" is going to vote on this bill it takes me a second to know what's going on (for those wondering, FSGG stands for the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations subcommittee and CMR is Cathy McMorris Rodgers, the #4 Republican in the House).

So, how can you thrive in this information environment?  Here are some tips:

1. Figure out what the pros read and start reading that too:  For example, at WSWA one of the main issues is tax policy, so I subscribed to Politico's Morning Tax Briefing, an email newsletter which everyone in my office reads.  If you're a political junkie like me you probably already read a ton of news and think you know most issues backwards and forwards but this is not true!  I constantly find myself learning new things at my internship, which is actually quite refreshing.  So even if you read a lot already, don't be afraid to switch it up and start reading what the pros read

2. Know your Congresspeople: This is something I realized quickly that I was surprisingly bad at, I don't know very many Members of Congress.  When you get to D.C. suddenly people other than those who make the nightly news (Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell) start to matter.  For example, if you'd have asked me before I came here who Rodney Frelinghuysen was I would not have been able to tell you, but it turns out he is one of the most important members of Congress when it comes to issues that concern my internship.  He is the Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, so before you come here and think you know all of the important players stop and take a second to get yourself acquainted with some more Members of Congress.  You'll be thankful when you're in a meeting and know what's going on, also you may recognize them on the street and be able to say hello instead "oh shoot that's a Member, but I don't know who!"

3. Watch committee hearings when you have the chance: I find myself turning on CSPAN while working on things at work all the time, hearing what's going on while I get things done. Oftentimes I am even assigned to report back to the government affairs team on what happened at the hearing, so if you work in a position where Congressional hearings matter to your office, take the time to check them out when you can!  It's another great way to know what's going on and will often help you impress your supervisors.
Pictured is me during WSWA's Legislative Fly-In, an event where wholesale company executives came to D.C. to meet with over 200 Members of Congress and discuss important issues related to the wine and spirits wholesale industry 

So in summary, be open to learning new things and changing how you consume news while in D.C. It's a city where the important news of the world happens right outside your door, so jump in and embrace it wholeheartedly.

- Luke Graeter
  WAIP Summer '17












No comments:

Post a Comment