Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The 9-to-5 Survival Guide

My name is Eleni Packis, and I'm a rising senior studying Public Policy Analysis and Economics. This summer, I'm interning on the Health Care Team at the Government Accountability Office! 
When I came to D.C., I knew there would be things that would challenge me: dealing with the swamp-like summer temperatures, living in a house with many other people, finding a way to achieve the perfect work-life balance… and dealing with a very, very full work day.
I’ve found myself surprised by how difficult it can be to just sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. And after being here for five weeks, I’ve noticed that the days I consider myself the least productive are the ones where I don’t try to move around at least a bit. So here’s my short list of tips for how to spruce up the daily 9-to-5, and to take advantage of as many cool D.C. things as possible in the process!
  1. Go to all the special events. As an intern at the Government Accountability Office, I’ve been invited to many cool opportunities already, including things like listening to other teams present their analyses, networking mixers, events at the Bipartisan Policy Center, and even an event put on by Politico coming up in a couple weeks. You can learn so many new things and meet great people by going to these. 
  2. Set up coffees and lunches with your coworkers. Not only is this a great way to help you get through your day (good conversation will help you be more productive later on!), but it also helps you to form valuable connections with the people around you. You never know when you’ll need a favor from your fellow intern or supervisor, and actually getting to know them beforehand is a great way to strengthen these bonds.
  3. Go for walks on your lunch break—explore the area where you work! The GAO is right outside of the Chinatown area, and I have loved going on solo walks around the area. Also, the National Portrait Gallery is just around the corner, and their atrium is a beautiful hidden gem of a lunch spot. Getting out of the office really makes the day go by quicker!
  4. Listen to music while you work. I’ve noticed that I’m immensely more productive when I’ve got some nice background music playing in my ears. It really just helps me to focus better and to be less distracted by the sounds of the office.
  5. Keep healthy snacks by your desk. A quick banana in the middle of the day is a great pick-me-up! I highly recommend keeping a small stash of goodies in your desk drawer (especially because they’re always handy on the days where you’re too rushed to pack a lunch).
  6. Leave a sweater or blazer at work. For me, the quickest way to have an unproductive day is to feel like a human ice cube. Take charge of your body temperature, and always come prepared! 
And now, here’s a few photos of me taking advantage of D.C. life outside of work—pictured at the waterfront area in Georgetown with some other WAIPers, and enjoying Jazz in the Sculpture Garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment