Friday, June 16, 2017

Take a Walk

Take a Walk 

Somewhere between week two and three, the metro started to lose its shine. The crowds of people no longer provided adrenaline; they just seemed tired and in a hurry to everywhere they wanted to go. I, on the other hand, was neither tired nor really in a hurry to anywhere. My commute via metro requires me to leave the house at 8:20 to arrive at work by nine. Out of curiosity, I checked the time it would take for me to walk to work in the morning. 55 minutes. I decided to give it a go because really that only added 15 minutes to my overall commute.

The first time I walked, I strolled along with a fellow WAIPer, Clare, who works at the same internship site as I do. We got lost more than once and ate up too much of our cell phone data but we proudly figured it out. One I got the hang out it, I realized the walk is abasically a straight shot and one turn, not too hard. Now for the past two weeks, I have chosen to walk to work over the metro. Walking wakes me up in the morning while also making me feel like I accomplished at least something over the course of my day. The process has become a sidewalk ballet. I see some of the same faces every day: a young hill intern, a husband who kisses his wife’s cheek, a mom pushing a strolling. I like that is has become familiar, it makes the city feel a little more like a home. As someone who enjoys being in the city but really does not thrive in the hustle and bustle, walking as allowed me to slow down too. I am not racing to the escalator or to get on and off the metro. Instead I have the time to read the daily headlines in front of the Newseum, take in the architecture of the buildings, and have some quiet time to myself before the day’s demands begin. One of my favorite parts of my walk is crossing over The Freedom Plaza. There are bunch of quotes from the Founding Fathers and other who were necessary in the creation of Washington D.C. about the city. My other favorite part is walking by the White House every morning. Nothing reminds me more that I am in D.C. (which is crazy) more than walking by that house each morning. I try to take in the moment each time, even the 8th graders.
                                       Clare and I on our first morning commute via walking. 


Most of my walk is calm and majority of the time I listen to music. However, I do challenge myself to begin my journey without any music or other distractions. I take this time to process through the experience that WAIP is, to reflect on what needs to be done for the day, and to just let myself be alone for a little bit as alone time can be very hard to come by. Most of the walk is straight down Constitution Ave and the hustle and bustle of the street has not yet woken up for the day. Yet when I turn the corner that leads me into the Dupont Circle/Farragut North area everything suddenly becomes busy. People are running about and hurrying on their way. I like the contrast because by the time I am in Farragut North I am only a few blocks from my office. The energy in the area gets me ready for a day at work.


So easily walking to work is not something I can take advantage of as often in Columbus so I like that I have found something that allows for me to have a routine yet lets me be a part of D.C. on my terms making the three mile walk worth it every morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment