Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Bipartisan Bromance

The political atmosphere has never been more divisive. I must admit that I am at fault for the political and social divide that separates Democrats and Republicans. My friends from back home and I are all from the same party, and while we have lively debates, we often agree on 99% of the issues. Coming into WAIP into this diverse political atmosphere, I had no clue what to expect, but I knew that political debates were bound to happen.

Our set up in the basement of 229, is that I live in the basement with Sharon, Cassidy, and Christine. We then share a living space with Morgan, Ella, Athena, and Elizabeth. Our shared living space has become the place for lively, informed, diverse, and bipartisan debate. I never thought that I would become best friends with someone across the aisle, especially after the most recent election. However, WAIP has truly allowed me to open my network and create valuable relationships with people with all backgrounds and beliefs.


Despite our differences, we all have in common that we love Ohio State and want to make a positive change in the world. That connection is strong enough to overcome our disagreements. I have met some truly amazing people here. The fact that my roommates and I can have friendly disagreements, is truly a sign that our friendship is strong. There is no doubt in my mind that by the end of WAIP, I will be grateful that I experienced many different views and have grown from these debates.


Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment