Friday, June 16, 2017

Worries for WAIP

Even before I applied to WAIP this past semester, I wondered and worried about the challenges I would face as a student, employee, and citizen of Washington, D.C. I worried that I would not be able to handle the stress and academic rigor that this program would require, that I would lose motivation, or worst of all, that I would discover that what I had been working for in school for the past three years was not actually what I wanted to do with my life. I almost convinced myself not to bother applying at all because of these uncertainties and doubts in myself.  
When I first arrived in D.C., these doubts became even stronger. I worried that because I am not a public policy major and have never taken a policy class, I would struggle with writing twenty pages on a topic that I had not even chosen yet. I worried that I would spend so much extra time studying that I would not have the time or the energy to experience the city. I worried that the pressures of the job, of class, and of the professional development events would cause me to become burned out within a few weeks. I worried that while other students were busy handing away their business cards and securing jobs after graduation, I would be too shy and self-conscious to speak with anyone important. I woried all of this and so much more, even worrying that I was already feeling this way in week one.
Catching up to present day, I have made a lot of discoveries that have helped me navigate and sincerely enjoy this whole process. Just by being accepted into WAIP I proved that at least other people believed in my abilities to succeed; after getting to know everyone I learned that at least half of us are not studying public policy; and just this past week I gave my business card to two staffers of a senator’s office. I have already accomplished so much here than I ever thought myself capable of, and am even more determined and excited every day.
Furthermore, I have learned one of the simplest but most valuable lessons I believe I could have, which is not to let all of these worries, fears, and doubts prevent me from gaining the experiences I want out of this summer. And I will also let myself worry sometimes, because as I have found so far, that usually means that whatever I am doing is going to be so much more valuable in the end.


Maybe worry, but also be happy.
Christina Rodas 

No comments:

Post a Comment