Thursday, June 1, 2017

What Not to Wear: DC Edition

There are a few differences between the television show that claims to rescue the unfashionable and my personal advice. While the show’s stylists are working with a budget of $5,000 and it may seem like all the adults of DC are sporting designer brands, I’m here to let you know that practicality trumps the 5-inch high heels every time.

Shoes – Comfort is key. Although Elle Woods rocks the pretty pink pumps, heels are very frustrating in the DC work environment for numerous reasons. Firstly, you will be much more willing to do “intern” tasks, such as sorting mail, if you are comfortable. Returning home after a 10-hour work day with sore feet and battle wounds will prevent you from exploring the city in the evenings. Even more so, people notice that you’re opting for the comfy flats and applaud you for it. The day I tossed my heels under my bunk bed earned me a few extra tasks because I was the only intern who could move quickly and with ease. It is also super easy to leave a pair of heels at work to switch into before a meeting or important event.

Blazers – Always. As an intern on the Hill, I can attest that the female interns who choose to wear blazers look much more professional. It serves you well to have one on hand during the summer when the buildings have the air conditioning at the highest setting. Even if it is not a part of your internship’s dress code, I highly recommend always having a blazer within reach. One of the best pieces of advice I have received in DC is to dress like the person whose job you hope to have one day. I can guarantee you that the person you imagine is, unfortunately, not wearing “OSU game day” apparel and will probably be wearing one of these.

Above: This is a picture of me (Nikki Tecco) next to a sloth. Notice the blazer draped over my arm. After taking pictures with the sloth and also holding a kangaroo, I put my blazer back on.
Outfit Changes – Embrace your inner celebrity. If you have always dreamed of being an A-list celebrity with 3 scheduled outfit changes at an event, DC is for you. In the morning, most professionals wear workout clothes for their commute. Once arriving at work, it is extremely common and appropriate to change into your professional attire. After work, you can change again for the commute home. If you have Dr. Scott as your professor, you will be able to do another outfit change into your comfy, collegiate clothes before class. 

By: Nikki Tecco

No comments:

Post a Comment