Friday, June 16, 2017

The WAIP Life

The summer that is WAIP has definitely hit. Literally its hit me a face full of mud and cake (I’ll explain later). Mentally its hit me in the sense that opportunities exist-but you have to go take them. 

I applied for WAIP not knowing what I was doing, where I was going, and often nervously thinking about if I was making the right decision. The prospect of interning, taking classes, and trying to explore was a task I admittedly found daunting. 

And I wasn't necessarily wrong. 

Working 9-5 doesn't sound THAT bad when you initially think about it, but throw in trying to make dinner, attending policy salons, and suddenly you feel like going to bed instead of finding things to do. 

Fighting that has been hard at times, but certainly worth it. 

For example, I’d considered spending only a few hours in the African-American Museum, however made sure to focus and read as much of the information I could. I was able to learn so much more than I had ever expected, had a lot of fun, oh and I was there for like 5 hours. I’ve also been able to just explore, from Roosevelt Island, to the Jefferson Memorial at night, and even Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day and the Kennedy Centennial.  Taking the time to really enjoy these opportunities might seem tedious if you're reading this, but I promise you they’ve been worth every second.

My internship itself has been incredible. I work for Ohio States Federal Relations Office, with an incredible staff. I have been fortunate enough to go to the White House, help greet several Deans, and even meet Representatives of Ohio. It’s been so much fun, and even helped me realize that life on “the Hill” will probably never be for me. The opportunities I have gotten, and continue to get, are something I feel every fortunate to be a part of.


Me in the background of Professor Bill Maras's Testimony

Finally,  I don't think it can be understated how much fun it is to be with people your own age all trying to figure things out together. It has been great to spend time with people here, most of whom I didn’t know before and yet now I count them as good friends. Although I have had had cake pushed into my face (I may have deserved that) and mud thrown at my arm (I don't think I deserved that) I’ve gotten to spent time with some pretty cool people and that made the summer so far all the better. 


So far its been great, hopefully the next month is even better. 

-Brandon Hofacker

No comments:

Post a Comment