Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My declaration... of independence


Most people are afraid of being alone. After all, we come into the world surrounded by people: family, friends, etc. So what happens when you reach a time where you are independent, and truly alone? My time in Washington, D.C. through WAIP has allowed me to explore the idea of being independent – and I love every second of it.   


Of course I have immense support through my WAIP cohort, advisors, professor, family, friends, and coworkers. I appreciate input from from all of these people and learn more from them everyday. That being said, I also know I make decisions for no one but myself. Being an independent means making decisions about my life ultimately comes down to me. I was never good at decision making because I always wanted what was best for other people. WAIP has consistently reminded me of a great quote from The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” 

This quote describes what I need to do now in order to be a great public servant in the future. Now, I need to learn to make decisions for myself, take care of myself, and love myself. I need to be proud to be from Ohio and apart of The John Glenn College. Learning to do these things, as I am through WAIP, allows me to prepare to be the best public servant I can.

Here are a few things I have done alone in the nation’s capitol, and recommend to all:
1.     Adventured though the Eastern Market
2.     Sat at a local restaurant with a book
3.     Watched Pride events unravel from a yogurt bar
4.     Networked with people who write transportation policy
5.     Meditated
6.     Power walked and ran
7.     Visited the Postal Museum



My time during WAIP has helped me to grasp being independent. I’ve given myself permission to be alone and to just be me.

By: Christine Cockley
WAIP Summer 2017

1 comment: