Thursday, June 15, 2017

Solace in a Whirlwind

Over the course of my Washington Academic Internship Program experience, I have been faced with myriad pearls of advice, infinite opportunities for exploration, and a burgeoning Google Calendar. A recurring piece of advice I have received is to grant self-care a place in my routine in whatever form it takes in my life. While this is typically a priority for me, I have found it falling to the bottom of the To Do List and absent from the aforementioned Google Calendar.

I want to seize all the opportunity possible in my short time here in DC, but I want to do so in a healthy and balanced way. The solution? A simple formula that combines a bucket list item with reflection, solitude, and leisure.

The crystal houselights of the Opera House moments before the show. 

For me, this took the shape of a solitary trip to the Kennedy Center to see a mixed bill performance by the New York City Ballet. As a lifelong dancer, I find that the performing arts symbolize a type of home for me – a place of expression, ease, and contact with one’s true self (even when portraying a character). Alone at the back of the velvety balcony in my last-minute $29 seat, I felt enthralled and utterly consumed by the performance.


The beauty of the theater and the expertise of the dancers provided an escape from the stresses of full time work on top of academic obligations. I felt in touch with myself and was reminded of why I am in DC and what drives my passions. I urge anyone – WAIPer or otherwise – to pursue whatever helps them find solace in a whirlwind city like DC.

View of DC from a safe distance - the Kennedy Center rooftop. 

Audrey Gerlach



No comments:

Post a Comment