Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2 more Smithsonians



This weekend was awesome, the weather was great and I was able to go all over DC! I went to the National Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. I was amazed to see how small Friendship 7 was!! I can't believe John Genn was in that tiny capsule for so many hours. I could never imagine orbiting the planet in that! I really enjoyed being able to walk through one of the space crafts to see how they live in space. The small working areas and shower totes, it was crazy. I thought my room at Chi Omega was small!! My favorite part of the Natural History Museum was by far the gemstone exhibit with all of the jewelry! I was surprised to learn that it is the element boron that actually gave the gem its blue color. I also never knew that the reason it is called the Hope Diamond is because the last owner was an Englishmen named Henry Philip Hope....makes a lot of sense. The emerald necklace made for Spanish Royalty caught my eye too, partially because that is my birthstone. After seeing those jewls I better find myself a rich husband!
-Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment