Sunday, January 17, 2010

Black Holes, Friendship, and Art (that I don't understand)

Yesterday, I visited the Air and Space Museum and the Contemporary Art Museum.
At A&S, Lydia and I saw an IMAX movie about
Black Holes ($9 for 25 minutes didn't turn out to be worth it but Liam Neeson was the narrator so that redeemed it a little) and we saw the Friendship 7, which John Glenn orbited Earth in. Pretty cool, John. Pretty cool. Besides that, the museum was a lot of stuff about aeroplanes, which didn't excited me as much, and planets, which freaked me out because space scares me. You can imagine how freaked out I was while watching the black holes movie. I mean, seriously.. those things are messed up.


Between exploring the museum and waiting until 5 pm for our movie to start, we went to the Contemporary Art Museum nearby. I liked half of it and thought the other half was ridiculous (I watched three people debate the meaning of a picture that was just two shades of blue splattered on a canvas). The building itself was pretty cool but completely impractical (a giant circle with nothing in the middle) and half of the art was "Untitled," in which case I KNOW the artists don't know what the point of their art was, either. Example:
Lydia actually discovered that this one has a mirrored front, so you could potentially argue that the artist wanted you to make your own art or something. I think he just did it accidentally because he didn't know how to deal with the materials he used.
But maybe I'm a little bit too critical. Especially considering I have no artistic skills whatsoever. I have attached a drawing of mine to prove it:
I drew a picture of my friend and she drew a picture of me. You can tell by the labels who they're supposed to be and I'll let you be the judge of who is more creative in their interpretations. Not sure the Smithsonian would find it artistic but if I think of a weird enough title I bet I could find SOMEONE who considered it art.. right?
Don't crush my dreams.
(Lilly)

1 comment:

  1. Oops, I posted my comment in the wrong place. So I'll say it again. I also went to a very unusual art exhibition this weekend. The Parish Gallery in Georgetown is showing microscopic art. Here's a link: http://www.parishgallery.com/ --KK

    ReplyDelete